Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I wear my Apple Watch 5 in the ocean?

Purchasing a series 5 watch on release day. Going on vacation next day. Can I wear my watch ion the ocean ? If so do I need to do anything on the watch to protect it from water getting into openings on it.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 3:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 4:01 PM

The watch is water RESISTANT. Suggest you read Apple's statement regarding using their watches in water......https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000

2 replies

Sep 19, 2019 10:28 AM in response to Bmh716

Do so at your own risk.

The specs for the Apple Watch 4 was to 50M. That being said, I was on vaca and it got wet on the first day of vaca. I have a 4 month old watch >$900. It was wet and couldn't be restated....totally DEAD. Just returned today and went to Apple store and even though I purchased Apple Care, they had to send it out and if water damage is found, it's $69 for the repair. The watch will have water damage, because that's when it died. I was in the water about 20 minutes, no deeper than 42" (pool's max depth).

This freaked my wife out and she never wore her watch in the water, fearing the same fate. There are other posts people with Apple Watch 4 used for swimming coming up totally dead.

This is a nightmare that doesn't need to be. If I have Apple care AND a unit that is virtually new, they should just replace it, period.

Can I wear my Apple Watch 5 in the ocean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.