Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Font Book

I am editing a document for work, so I do need to resolve this. Maybe you can provide help.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012 - old but still reliable)

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Safari Version 12.1.2 (14607.3.9)

Mac OS Mohave 10.14.6 (18G95)

Font Book Version 9.0 (330.2.1)

Using Word 365 (faculty/education version)

I realize I need to contact MicroSoft for the Word problems, but my questions here relate to the Font Book app.

Have been working on a long engineering report for several weeks, and starting today, the Ariel font I am using looks like it is Times New Roman in some sections of the report.

• In some instances font is identified in document as Ariel but looks like Times New Roman onscreen.
  • Other instances it is identified as Times New Roman and I can change it to Ariel.
  • These problems seem to appear randomly in the document, with many parts of the document in Ariel font. and I cannot discern why.

Searched online to get information about how this problem might relate to Font Book app. Used primarily Mac and MicroSoft support sites, forums and discussions. Several sites instructed me to shut down my computer and restart it to see if that resolved the problem. It did not. Then, as instructed elsewhere, shut down computer and restarted it in safe mode. Still had the problem.

Also used Disk Utility to repair disk permissions, but this did not resolve the issue. .

Then read on several sites that I should correct this using Font Book app. Reviewed instructions and my version of Font Book did not have some of the pull-down options identified in instructions I found online. (I was mindful to only read about possible solutions posted within the last year or less.) Tried a variety of instructions about using Font Book to resolve the problem. After reading several posts, decided (right or wrong I do not know) I should delete the old versions of the Ariel font. One source indicated my problems were associated with having duplicate fonts that should be deleted. After many attempts and corresponding error messages I figured that Ariel is a required font and older versions could not be deleted. Decided not to delete the old versions from my deleted fonts folder after I found conflicting instructions that said I either should or should not do so to resolve the problem.

In the process, I wondered if I am using the most recent version of Font Book. Could not find out what the newest version is through more internet searches. Learned there are many font management applications but I'll stick with Font Book.

So, my questions are:

1. How can I tell that I am using the most recent version of Font Book. Does it even matter?
  2. Is it true that I cannot delete duplicate older versions of Ariel font? Is that a problem if the old ones are disabled? Can font duplicates relate to my problems of text font changes to Times New Roman?
  3. Should I restore standard fonts to address this? Would it be prudent to do so?
  4. Might this problem relate to errors in my disk volume permissions even after running Disk Utility repair?
  5. Might it somehow be related to the age of my computer? I do regularly do maintenance procedures on my computer and my virus protection software seems to prevent viruses and other malicious activities by scoundrels?
  6. For the first time in ages I recently used Onyx for maintenance tasks. Might that be the culprit?
  7. Is this truly just a problem that can be resolved through MicroSoft support and forums?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'll post questions to MicroSoft support entities, but obviously my questions will be somewhat different from these although they are about the same problem.

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 3:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2019 5:16 AM

I recommend you use the MS forums. Also see this

http://www.jklstudios.com/misc/osxfonts.html#officefonts

Similar questions

2 replies

Font Book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.