Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I lost all of my notes on my new iPhone when I tried to back up to my Mac

I just brought home my new iPhone and had transferred (airdropped) all of my notes onto my new phone. I just plugged in my new phone to my Mac and tried to restore the rest from my last backup today, and it erased all of my notes!!

iPhone XR

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 5:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2019 4:46 PM

Hey Frustratedmom77,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I certainly depend on my Notes to stay organized, so understand how important those can be! I am happy to provide some information about Notes, and look into options to recover those.

You stated that you attempted to restore your Notes from a backup. When restoring your device, the current information on the device is overridden by the information in the backup. Any Notes that were not included in the backup would be removed. Are the Notes that you were trying to restore on your device?

Also, do you use iCloud for Notes? If so you may find your Notes by logging into iCloud from a computer. You can find more information here: iCloud: What is iCloud Notes

If you're not using iCloud for Notes, and still have access to your other device, you can choose to enable that now. If you're using the same Apple ID on your new iPhone, you'll be able to see your Notes on that device as well.

Thanks.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2019 4:46 PM in response to Frustratedmom77

Hey Frustratedmom77,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I certainly depend on my Notes to stay organized, so understand how important those can be! I am happy to provide some information about Notes, and look into options to recover those.

You stated that you attempted to restore your Notes from a backup. When restoring your device, the current information on the device is overridden by the information in the backup. Any Notes that were not included in the backup would be removed. Are the Notes that you were trying to restore on your device?

Also, do you use iCloud for Notes? If so you may find your Notes by logging into iCloud from a computer. You can find more information here: iCloud: What is iCloud Notes

If you're not using iCloud for Notes, and still have access to your other device, you can choose to enable that now. If you're using the same Apple ID on your new iPhone, you'll be able to see your Notes on that device as well.

Thanks.

I lost all of my notes on my new iPhone when I tried to back up to my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.