Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flashing Question Mark Folder

I tried updating my MacBook Pro to Mojave and it was acting up after doing so, so I decided to just wipe it and try again. When I tried wiping it, it just froze up, so I shut it down and then I got the question mark folder. I tried all the key combinations like other discussions told me to and it's just not working and I don't know what to do. I'm afraid to take it to the Apple Store because I bought it used and I don't know if they'll even fix a used computer. If there's anything I need to do or buy, I would appreciate anyone's help.

MacBook

Posted on Sep 15, 2019 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 10:47 PM

I had the exact same issue when trying to update my MacBook Pro retina (2015) to Catalina beta. It became really hot and refused to turn on no matter what I pressed. Took it to the Apple store where the genius couldn’t really put his finger on it. Then it started with the question mark folder all of a sudden. The genius said it’s either a drive issue or a logic board problem. He also noted how my MacBook was 3 years old and not a single mark on it so it couldn’t have been down to negligence. I’m yet to hear the diagnosis from Apple. Despite the condition of the MacBook, and the fact I was updating to their OS when this happened, Apple still insists that I pay!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2019 10:47 PM in response to ciera226

I had the exact same issue when trying to update my MacBook Pro retina (2015) to Catalina beta. It became really hot and refused to turn on no matter what I pressed. Took it to the Apple store where the genius couldn’t really put his finger on it. Then it started with the question mark folder all of a sudden. The genius said it’s either a drive issue or a logic board problem. He also noted how my MacBook was 3 years old and not a single mark on it so it couldn’t have been down to negligence. I’m yet to hear the diagnosis from Apple. Despite the condition of the MacBook, and the fact I was updating to their OS when this happened, Apple still insists that I pay!

Flashing Question Mark Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.