Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch water damage - can it be fixed?

went swimming in the ocean and now apple watch won't turn on, can it be fixed

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 16, 2019 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2019 10:42 AM

Sorry to hear about your problem. Here's mine to add to the community. First off, I would NOT recommend using your apple watch 4 in water, period. I was on vaca and it got wet on the first day of vaca. I have a 4 month old watch >$900. It was wet and couldn't be restated....totally DEAD. Just returned today and went to Apple store and even though I purchased Apple Care, they had to send it out and if water damage is found, it's $69 for the repair. The watch will have water damage, because that's when it died. It is supposed to be safe to 50M. I was in the water about 20 minutes, no deeper than 42" (pool's max depth).

This freaked my wife out and she never wore her watch in the water, fearing the same fate. There are other posts people with Apple Watch 4 used for swimming coming up totally dead.

This is a nightmare that doesn't need to be. If I have Apple care AND a unit that is virtually new, they should just replace it, period.

According to my tracking receipt, an out of warranty replacement is $399.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2019 10:42 AM in response to Allan Eckert

Sorry to hear about your problem. Here's mine to add to the community. First off, I would NOT recommend using your apple watch 4 in water, period. I was on vaca and it got wet on the first day of vaca. I have a 4 month old watch >$900. It was wet and couldn't be restated....totally DEAD. Just returned today and went to Apple store and even though I purchased Apple Care, they had to send it out and if water damage is found, it's $69 for the repair. The watch will have water damage, because that's when it died. It is supposed to be safe to 50M. I was in the water about 20 minutes, no deeper than 42" (pool's max depth).

This freaked my wife out and she never wore her watch in the water, fearing the same fate. There are other posts people with Apple Watch 4 used for swimming coming up totally dead.

This is a nightmare that doesn't need to be. If I have Apple care AND a unit that is virtually new, they should just replace it, period.

According to my tracking receipt, an out of warranty replacement is $399.

Sep 25, 2019 5:37 PM in response to ronfrommoville

Mine died in the Hotel pool after abt 20 min. I noted my experience w apple support on a few other threads, but here’s an update. I also made reference to a $69 charge if there is water damage. I protested that as this was a fairly new watch that should have survived basic water immersion.

So my watch was “sent in”, and I received an email message 24 hrs later. Seemed odd that they turned it around that fast and they said they were replacing it. IMO, they probably know that they have a bad batch. Mine was a v4 44mm Stainless model. I was notified today that my replacement watch arrived back today and I could pick it up. Just got it abt an hr ago, so I’m back to where I was before vaca. Still seems odd they could get it to watch support in 24 hrs, but it took 5 days after I was notified of their finding to get it back.

In one one of the threads a poster recommended people should submerge their watch in water for a while. I may do that just in case there is still a problem w the design or supply source.

FWIW, I did have apple care. I was not charged for anything and there was no comment re water damage. The repair ticket was put in that it would not turn on. Usage in the pool was noted on the ticket.

Hope this helps you and others

good luck

Apple Watch water damage - can it be fixed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.