Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

quick time player problem : 2012 Macbook Pro cant import videos from iphone 7

Hi, I have a 2012 macbook pro ( MacOS Sierra 12.10.6) and the quick time player does not support the format of the videos that I take with my iphone 7 12.4.1. I cant import videos through photos, I get message that the filr format is unrecognisable.

Even if I airdrop the videos, I cant play them with quick time player because the file is not compatible.

Obviously this has something to do with my old mac only having Sierra as O can import and play these videos from iphone on my husbands latest mac

How can I resolve this ? Thank you in advance

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 5:16 PM

Try an upgrade from Sierra (10.12) to High Sierra (10.13)—or upgrade to Mojave (10.14), if your Mac and your apps supports that, and a MacBook Pro mid 2012 and later does—and try again?

Get an external backup or two, check your key apps, check your printer and scanner vendors for drivers, and upgrade.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2019 5:16 PM in response to ale108

Try an upgrade from Sierra (10.12) to High Sierra (10.13)—or upgrade to Mojave (10.14), if your Mac and your apps supports that, and a MacBook Pro mid 2012 and later does—and try again?

Get an external backup or two, check your key apps, check your printer and scanner vendors for drivers, and upgrade.

Sep 19, 2019 1:47 PM in response to ale108

Check the computer requirements shown in each link to see if your computer is capable of running that OS version.

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

How to get macOS High Sierra   

Check to make sure your applications are compatible.     

Application Compatibility

macOS Sierra 10.12: Compatible Apps

Also check to make sure there is a compatible driver for your printer.

Do a backup before installing, preferable 2 backups on 2 different drives.

Sep 19, 2019 7:08 AM in response to ale108

ale108 wrote:

Thanks Kirk you are a legend, it worked. Anything I can do to play the video I recorded before setting to most compatible format?

Upgrade macOS, which should be done anyway. You’re otherwise going to be chasing other issues, staying on an older version... In recent times, Apple has provided security patches for the most current release, and the two prior releases. A list of versions that won’t include Sierra, when Catalina ships next month.

quick time player problem : 2012 Macbook Pro cant import videos from iphone 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.