Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync only recent photos/videos to iCloud, delete old from iCloud, but keep all on iPhone

Is this possible? I have more room on my iPhone and laptop than I do in iCloud (don't want to purchase more storage). I have saved and printed older photos, but newer ones are more vulnerable to being lost, so I'd like those to remain in the cloud.

iPhone 8

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 12:49 PM

iCloud is strictly a synchronization service. Any changes you make on one device, including deletions, will be reflected on all devices and in iCloud.

You would need to copy the files you wish to keep first to a computer folder, or an archival storage system like Dropbox before you delete anything on the iPhone.

6 replies

Sep 17, 2019 1:38 PM in response to DMAB6

There may be alternate photo storage apps in the App Store that may work to keep a separate library of images not sync’d to iCloud. I don’t know any, but they may exist (I don’t use iCloud photo at all and keep my master photo library on my Mac and sync selected photos to my iPhone or iPads with iTunes).

Beware of any of the crypto or vault style photo album apps. They have a tendency to be short lived in terms of development and often get abandoned or pulled from the App Store and people find themselves locked out of their pictures (was a rash of that when a few small photo vault developers abandoned their apps when iOS went to strictly 64-bit code).

Sync only recent photos/videos to iCloud, delete old from iCloud, but keep all on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.