Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need to use my Apple ID for mine and my granddaughters phone if we have find my iphone and family sharing or does my granddaughter have to use her Apple ID for her iPhone so that I can use the find my iPhone app on her phone?

Do I need to use my Apple ID for my granddaughters phone as well as mine in order to use the find my iPhone app?

iPhone 8

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 9:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 9:30 PM

If her AppleID is associated with your Family Sharing account, then you can use your device/AppleID to locate her device.

Having her configure her phone with your AppleID will cause all kinds of confusion with 'her' music taste appearing in your library, your photos appearing on 'her; phone, etc. Keep life simple and have everyone use their individual Apple IDs

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2019 9:30 PM in response to Dawndee30

If her AppleID is associated with your Family Sharing account, then you can use your device/AppleID to locate her device.

Having her configure her phone with your AppleID will cause all kinds of confusion with 'her' music taste appearing in your library, your photos appearing on 'her; phone, etc. Keep life simple and have everyone use their individual Apple IDs

Do I need to use my Apple ID for mine and my granddaughters phone if we have find my iphone and family sharing or does my granddaughter have to use her Apple ID for her iPhone so that I can use the find my iPhone app on her phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.