Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Shuffle 4th gen battery drain when OFF

I'm testing my iPod Shuffle to determine if the iPod is actually using up battery while it is in the OFF position or if the battery simply just doesn't hold a long charge anymore.

What has led me to this test is recently my iPod simply ran out of battery without any low battery warnings, and anyone who wants to know HTF I know this is that the music did a Max Headroom and just started screaming for 1-2 seconds before it just went silent. This happened while I was running (iPod was clipped on my hip), and I thought this was MAYBE because I got sweat in it. I watched a YouTube and I decided to take it apart - no moisture at all. I hooked it up to charge it. It took a little time before the ORANGE LED turned on, so it needed some time to juice up like other posts I've read.

I let it FULLY charge until it was GREEN, then I reassembled the iPod, played music briefly, and checked the battery status via the headphones. I then turned it off, expecting the charge to stay until I used it the next day for my work out. The battery was dead, and I had to fully charge the battery.

After a full charge again, I checked the battery status via the headphones - at @2 hour intervals - I checked each time to see if the battery was being drained. YES. 75%, then 50%, then 25%. I wasn't even using it. The switch was in the OFF position, and I had made sure music was NOT playing, and I had ALSO disconnected the headphones. Still had a battery drain...

I've fully charged my iPod, and I have so far been playing music through a Bose speaker for 3 hours, and it is at 75%. So far, it does NOT seem like the battery is actually "weak". I've come to the conclusion that it somehow has been draining in the OFF position, however I have ordered a new battery and will install it at some point. My thoughts are exactly this - keep it charged up for when I'm going to use it.

I previously had another iPod Shuffle which was still under warranty when I returned it - the problem I had was that it STAYED ON while in the OFF position. I am NOT having the same problem with this iPod b/c I checked to see if any of the controls were active, and they were not.

For those who decide to respond to this with remarks like, "I've never heard of this before"... well now you have.

This thread had the same question, but it was closed.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4504923

Posted on Sep 18, 2019 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 1:44 PM

Results of my full battery test with the iPod playing music was about 5 hours or so. I fully charged it, left it unplugged and OFF all day (the next day). When I tried it out again after a day, the battery was completely dead (AGAIN).

This time, after fully charging it, I am leaving the iPod on and leaving it paused, so it utilizes the "sleep" function after 30 minutes.

So yes, these iPods have a possibility of draining the battery while in the OFF position - probably due to a defect in the switch or some other connectivity. I have another battery I will install after I exhaust any other possible tests I can run on this.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2019 1:44 PM in response to sfazekas

Results of my full battery test with the iPod playing music was about 5 hours or so. I fully charged it, left it unplugged and OFF all day (the next day). When I tried it out again after a day, the battery was completely dead (AGAIN).

This time, after fully charging it, I am leaving the iPod on and leaving it paused, so it utilizes the "sleep" function after 30 minutes.

So yes, these iPods have a possibility of draining the battery while in the OFF position - probably due to a defect in the switch or some other connectivity. I have another battery I will install after I exhaust any other possible tests I can run on this.

iPod Shuffle 4th gen battery drain when OFF

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.