Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I eliminate and old email address which appears when I attempt to add an app

How do I eliminate an old email address from coming up when I am trying to download an app onto my new XR phone

iPhone XR

Posted on Sep 18, 2019 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2019 9:58 AM

You wanna go into Settings --> iTunes and App Store. Log out and use your new / primary / current Apple ID instead.

You can use two different ones. One primary for your phone and iCloud and one for the iTunes and App Store.

3 replies

Sep 18, 2019 12:20 PM in response to Safety1949

Any apps you purchased or downloaded with your old Apple ID are permanently tied to that ID. If you really I want to switch to a new Apple ID, you will need to repurchase those apps under the new ID. This would apply to music and videos as well.

There is rarely a valid reason to change to a new Apple ID. If your email address changed, you can change your existing ID to use the new email. Then you would still have all of your purchased apps and content.

How do I eliminate and old email address which appears when I attempt to add an app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.