Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Booting MacMini (late 2014) from external ssd

Hi everyone!

I have some difficulties in starting my MacMini from external ssd.

I followed step by step the procedure for installing Mojave 10.14.6 on the ssd disk which is now regularly recognized as a "boot disk" in the list present in "Startup Disk preferences".

If I select it and press "restart", the Mac restarts but using the internal disk. I only managed 2-3 times to start it from the external drive (with the same procedure, it was 5-6 times more responsive and faster), I can't understand where I'm wrong ...

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Alessandro

Posted on Sep 18, 2019 11:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2019 2:16 AM

You should be able to start the mac from another drive or another partition

within the internal drive by selecting one; there may be more than one way

that could work to accomplish this action. Note "Startup Disk Preference"..

• How to select a different startup disk - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202796

You should be able to use the Option key on startup to select a bootable

volume either on external drive (if correctly prepared) or internal partition

or maybe a network volume with macOS or suitable working system.

Read this ^ link carefully because it covers the main ways in modern mac:

it has a good chance of working in your case. (If installation was correct &

is seen by the mac hardware.) ~ Another look at similar information shows

an older page with just this feature; where a menu of options can appear:

• How to Change the Mac Startup Drive on Boot - How to??

http://solution2everything.blogspot.com/2013/07/how-to-change-mac-startup-drive-on-boot.html

And sometimes issues may result after an upgrade or change in the system

..so the older method fails to function; sometimes the OS X doesn't like to

'dual-boot' so you may have to forage to determine what else may work..

Some keyboard shortcuts may force the Mac to try & find a bootable volume

while a newer macOS and/or file system may balk when using older method.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2019 2:16 AM in response to Cupra1979

You should be able to start the mac from another drive or another partition

within the internal drive by selecting one; there may be more than one way

that could work to accomplish this action. Note "Startup Disk Preference"..

• How to select a different startup disk - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202796

You should be able to use the Option key on startup to select a bootable

volume either on external drive (if correctly prepared) or internal partition

or maybe a network volume with macOS or suitable working system.

Read this ^ link carefully because it covers the main ways in modern mac:

it has a good chance of working in your case. (If installation was correct &

is seen by the mac hardware.) ~ Another look at similar information shows

an older page with just this feature; where a menu of options can appear:

• How to Change the Mac Startup Drive on Boot - How to??

http://solution2everything.blogspot.com/2013/07/how-to-change-mac-startup-drive-on-boot.html

And sometimes issues may result after an upgrade or change in the system

..so the older method fails to function; sometimes the OS X doesn't like to

'dual-boot' so you may have to forage to determine what else may work..

Some keyboard shortcuts may force the Mac to try & find a bootable volume

while a newer macOS and/or file system may balk when using older method.

Sep 19, 2019 3:05 AM in response to Cupra1979

Maybe the external SSD is slow to wake up? Does it has its own power supply or is it powered via USB?

The missing startup bong in new Macs makes timing Option-boot difficult: press Option a little too early or a little to late boots normally and requires another try (with practice I now have about 80% success). If I want to to be sure, I shutdown and startup pressing Option (I usually don't want to visit the Startup Disk GUI).

There is a Terminal command to set the boot disk but I don't know if there is any practical difference to the GUI regarding your problem:

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-change-the-mac-startup-disk-from-the-command-line

Sep 19, 2019 5:11 AM in response to K Shaffer

Thanks for your replies!

Concerning the selection of the external boot unit (permanent boot from that ssd unit), I did it but it doesn't work (well, it worked 2-3 times..)...I didn't try yet the "Option key" option because I wanted something permanent.

Maybe the problem is linked to what indicated by Matti: my ssd unit is powered via USB and some start latency could cause the issue...but I cannot explain why some times it worked well...

I will make some other tests, hoping to find a solution because my poor MacMini became a sloth after Mojave installation...

Thanks again!!

Sep 19, 2019 8:53 AM in response to Cupra1979

FYI, some external enclosures, docks, and adapters may not boot a computer (especially a Mac). I always stick with just a few name brands such as Plugable, OWC, and StarTech. Of course some other brands work too, but these are the ones I'm familiar with and like. Years ago we purchased a drive enclosure which wouldn't work with a Mac at all, but worked fine on a standard PC. Macs can be bit particular about their boot drives sometimes.

What brand of drive, enclosure/dock/adapter are you using?

You can also try connecting the drive to a powered USB3 hub with UASP support. Use a well respected name brand product as the quality of many hubs is substandard and will just cause problems.

Sep 23, 2019 8:06 AM in response to Cupra1979

For what it is worth, I've seen some bus powered drives that cannot boot a computer from a cold start (turning on the power) but can from a warm start (rebooting). I'm sitting in front of an iMac that is booting with an external SSD which could boot my mini without a power brick but not the iMac I'm currently using. Not sure why that's the case, but there you go. Normally I'd not even try using a bus powered drive to boot up but I was down to my last outlet and didn't have anything I could unplug!

Sep 23, 2019 8:59 AM in response to HWTech

Some updates:

the drive brand is Trascend, a 128GB cheap SSD unit USB 3.1

I tried rebooting several times, without success. In frustration, I turned off the Mac and quit the attempts (leaving unchanged the boot setting from the SSD disk). The next day, at normal start-up, it booted from the SSD disk ... so it seems to work only with a "cold start".

Excited about this "half solution", I crashed against the impossibility of setting the right screen resolution (a yom 2007 40" Sony Bravia TV via HDMI). If I boot from the integrated disk the resolution is correct, while (with the same settings) the boot from the SSD disk cuts 2-3 cm of screen on the four sides. I have already tried the Display Menu app, without success ... the story continues :D

Booting MacMini (late 2014) from external ssd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.