Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari preferences set to use Google search but Yahoo shows up

Over the past couple of days I noticed that when I use the search criteria box and Google is set as my search engine, Yahoo is showing up. Also I noticed a lot of coding in the tool bar when it does the search. Is this something Google has added or is something overriding what I set as the default search engine?

Things I've checked:

Safari /Preferences/Search Engine: Set to Google

Safari/Preferences/Extensions: it is blank

Have tried Comand-Q to shut down Safari and reopen Safari holding the shift key: still has the same problem.

My version of Safari is 12.1.12

Pics of what I see when I did a test search and the coding in the search criteria box:

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Julia

Posted on Sep 19, 2019 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2019 1:30 PM

You have adware/malware installed. Use  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac. It may be necessary to run more than one scan. After scanning a couple of times, restart the computer and test. If necessary, follow the manual instructions.  Do not download any other programs that are listed in the articles.   Malwarebytes uninstall

See if the below helps. I would scroll down to the below or you might fall asleep.

Step 1. Eliminate Yahoo Redirect from Windows

Step 2. Delete Yahoo Redirect from Mac OS X

Step 3. Uninstall Yahoo Redirect from Internet Explorer

Step 4. Remove Yahoo Redirect from Microsoft Edge

Step 5. Erase Yahoo Redirect from Mozilla Firefox

Step 6. Get rid of Yahoo Redirect from Google Chrome

Step 7. Eliminate Yahoo Redirect from Safari

https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-yahoo-redirect-virus.html

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions, uninstall any you don't recognize, and then turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2019 1:30 PM in response to juliafromdundee

You have adware/malware installed. Use  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac. It may be necessary to run more than one scan. After scanning a couple of times, restart the computer and test. If necessary, follow the manual instructions.  Do not download any other programs that are listed in the articles.   Malwarebytes uninstall

See if the below helps. I would scroll down to the below or you might fall asleep.

Step 1. Eliminate Yahoo Redirect from Windows

Step 2. Delete Yahoo Redirect from Mac OS X

Step 3. Uninstall Yahoo Redirect from Internet Explorer

Step 4. Remove Yahoo Redirect from Microsoft Edge

Step 5. Erase Yahoo Redirect from Mozilla Firefox

Step 6. Get rid of Yahoo Redirect from Google Chrome

Step 7. Eliminate Yahoo Redirect from Safari

https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-yahoo-redirect-virus.html

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions, uninstall any you don't recognize, and then turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Sep 29, 2019 4:32 AM in response to Eric Root

Sorry I did not come back and respond sooner. I did a phone call with Apple Support and they had me

download the product you suggested and run the scan. I got Safari back to what it should be. I was able to update to latest

version of Safari and it also resolved an issue I had with the mail app.

Problem resolved and thank you for the response.

Julia

Safari preferences set to use Google search but Yahoo shows up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.