Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 is charging but not recognised by MacBook air

It is always painful when everything seems all up-to-date but still nothing work. I am running the latest software on an old computer and an old iPhone. I just bought an iPhone 11, thinking to do some back up on iPhone 5 before I make a big move. But iPhone 5 is not recognised by my MacBook air but it is charging.

1. iTunes does not recognised iPhone 5, so I cannot back it up there. iTunes version 12.9.5.5
  2. Checked system report, USB 2.0 and 3.0 but none of them can see iPhone connection.
  3. I reset all setting on iPhone 5, it says OS uptodate 10.3.4. It is rebooted.
  4. I restarted Macbook air. It is 2012 model, with MacOS Majove 10.14.6, the latest.
  5. I used two USB - lighting cable, old and new. I tried them on two different USB ports. iPhone is still giving the same response, it is charging when connected to MacBook air but it is not recognised.

I am desparate to back it up so that I can use my new iPhone 11. But what has gone wrong here. Please help!!!

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 12:10 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Sep 20, 2019 5:46 PM in response to Candice

Hello Candice,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that iTunes is not recognizing your iPhone 5. If you have completed all the steps from the following article and the issue persists, you may need to contact Apple Support for additional assistance.

If iTunes doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

Contact Apple Support

Best Regards.

iPhone 5 is charging but not recognised by MacBook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.