Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13 - MFI hearing aids now playing all notification sounds

I've updated my iPhone to iOS 13. Since then, all notification sounds play through my MFI (Made for iPhone) hearing aids, which is annoying. I can't see any settings to change this.

To explain further, the ios behaviour was;

• Audio (e.g. Spotify, Youtube, phone calls) played through the hearing aids.
  • Notifications (e.g. a beep of a message arriving in whatsapp) played through phone speaker.

In iOS 13, everything now plays through my hearing aids. This means if my hearing aids are receiving audio from my TV for example, they switch to my hearing aids for a second to play a 'bing' of receiving a SMS, then go back to the TV. It's extremely annoying unfortunately. Any ideas?

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 12:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2019 2:11 AM

I’ve updated to 13.1 and now 13.1.1. Issue is still here. It’s made my iPhone completely unusable. I now leave Bluetooth turned off all the time and turn it on only to make a phone call or listen to music.

I don’t think I can revert to 12 as I don’t have a backup. I’ve been trying to find out how I can report it to Apple as a bug but there literally is no way I can see of doing it.

Does anyone know how to?

144 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2019 2:11 AM in response to deepsky94

I’ve updated to 13.1 and now 13.1.1. Issue is still here. It’s made my iPhone completely unusable. I now leave Bluetooth turned off all the time and turn it on only to make a phone call or listen to music.

I don’t think I can revert to 12 as I don’t have a backup. I’ve been trying to find out how I can report it to Apple as a bug but there literally is no way I can see of doing it.

Does anyone know how to?

Sep 29, 2019 4:44 PM in response to aprice777

This may help a bit until they get this bug/setting fixed:

Go to settings, accessibility, touch, scroll to bottom to call audio routing, set that to Bluetooth headset.

Then go to settings, accessibility, hearing devices, turn off the play ringtones switch, then go into audio routing, set call audio to automatic, set media audio to never hearing devices.

That will make the call ringtone come through the speaker but the audio will route to the hearing aids. The text alerts will not sound in the hearing aids and will sound on the phone speaker. The problem is that no media audio will go through the hearing aids.

Or you can set the call routing up like I mentioned, leave the media audio routing on automatic, and change your alert tone to none for texts (settings, sounds and haptics, text tone, none). If you do this, you will want to use a text vibrate pattern that is long enough for you to feel and recognize when it goes off.

I would guess if enough people at Apple see that we are upset about this, they will change the settings back to how they were.

Oct 29, 2019 9:12 AM in response to aprice777

I've just updated to iOS 13.2 and the issue is fixed :) :) :)

I can type without the clicking noise playing in my ear. And I can receive a notification through the phone speaker while receiving audio through bluetooth.

I hope this fixes it for all the other people in this thread that are suffering. Please update the thread if 13.2 fixes things for you as well :)

Oct 15, 2019 12:13 PM in response to cassie8

It’s good to know that this isn’t an isolated issue and good to hearing from everybody in the community with similar issues, some being lucky and others not quite so lucky. My best run using the Resound Enzo2 was the iPhone 6 running on iOS 9.

Hopefully Apple has been listening, iOS 13.1.3 holds promises...snippet of release note, here’s to hoping it’ll sort out the Bluetooth and mfi hearing aids issues, not upgraded yet but hopefully it’s the fix we have all been waiting for; good luck!

Sep 20, 2019 6:30 AM in response to aprice777

I am having exactly this issue as well since installing iOS 13. It is very, very annoying. The behaviour should not have been changed in iOS 13, as it worked fine before. The setting is called "Hearing Aids Play Ringtones", and disabling it before would fix this i believe. But since installing iOS 13 this setting does nothing.

This means the phone keeps interrupting anything my hearing aid does as soon as it gets a notification.

Oct 1, 2019 8:19 AM in response to aprice777

My Mom, who wears a BAHA 5 Cochlear devise, is no longer connecting to her iPhone after 13.1.1 update. Bluetooth sometimes connects and most times doesn't. Apple is aware of this problem too and I am hoping the 13.1.2 update will fix it. Mom is 90 years old. If I knew this update was a "major one" I would have waited to update her. Apple told me no way to get back to 12.4.1

Oct 3, 2019 1:57 PM in response to aprice777

I’ve got the same issue, it is very irritating! Just changing Hearing Devices-Audio Routing-Media Audio to “Never Hearing Devices” fixed the problem for me. The only problem now is if I want to use the hearing aids to stream audio I have to go back and turn it back on. Apple, why change something that was working perfectly??

Oct 3, 2019 3:18 PM in response to JPilot

JPilot, We updated Mom to 13.1.2 and she is back to being able to hear through her BAHA 5 Cochlear devise. I was told by Apple that this latest version of the iPhone OS fixed Bluetooth issues so if you haven't updated yet - try it. Mom and I became so dependent on talking via iPhone that it was a difficult week trying to use a Caption Phone. I hope this version works for your issues too. And I will be much more cautious doing a future update until it has been out for quite a while. Best of luck to you.

Oct 4, 2019 7:07 AM in response to JPilot

I am having the same issue as discussed above, however, my resound aid will constantly not stream correctly. I can see it connected in the accesibility menu and can change the volume/program but when I go to stream music it does not work. The only thing that fixes it is forgetting the device and re-pairing it. It is very annoying and making me not want to use the phone at all.

iOS 13 - MFI hearing aids now playing all notification sounds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.