Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which OSX is the best for a Late 2013 Macbook Pro (with OSX currently running 10.9.5)

I have a Late 2013 Macbook Pro with OSX running 10.9.5. Those of you who have newer OSX, which one do you recommend? (also compatible with my device). I understand that i need to upgrade to the next compatible OSX and then a newer one, can someone guide me briefly through this? (not the process necessarily but the names of the new OSX's). Thank you

MacBook

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 3:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 12:41 PM

morf313 wrote:

Yeap it has 8GB of memory. I'm running Mavericks now. I haven't purchased the Yosemite (so i guess i can't upgrade to El Capitan). So logically i could upgrade to High Sierra and then to Mojave (which looks badass)- unless i can upgrade to Mojave directly.

You can choose OSX 10.11 El Capitan if you wish since the direct link to the App Store download is contained in my previous post. Unfortunately if you don't have a direct link to the OS installer to download, then the Apple Store won't show the item to you which is why Yosemite is not an option if you haven't purchased it. AFAIK you should be able to download any of the other versions of macOS whether you "purchased" them or not since you have the direct links to each one.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2019 12:41 PM in response to morf313

morf313 wrote:

Yeap it has 8GB of memory. I'm running Mavericks now. I haven't purchased the Yosemite (so i guess i can't upgrade to El Capitan). So logically i could upgrade to High Sierra and then to Mojave (which looks badass)- unless i can upgrade to Mojave directly.

You can choose OSX 10.11 El Capitan if you wish since the direct link to the App Store download is contained in my previous post. Unfortunately if you don't have a direct link to the OS installer to download, then the Apple Store won't show the item to you which is why Yosemite is not an option if you haven't purchased it. AFAIK you should be able to download any of the other versions of macOS whether you "purchased" them or not since you have the direct links to each one.

Sep 20, 2019 7:37 PM in response to morf313

How much memory does your MBPro have? I've seen some of the regulars on here mention macOS 10.14 Mojave really needs a minimum of 8GB of memory.

AFAIK you should be able to upgrade directly to macOS 10.14 Mojave if you wish. I know there are a few systems where it is necessary to first upgrade to OSX 10.11 El Capitan. AFAIK unless you have already "purchased" OSX 10.10 Yosemite, then you won't be able to download it now. Here is a list of the remaining versions of macOS which you should be able to download:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

The above link contains links to information for each version of macOS still available to be downloaded. Click on the macOS name to get a page containing the direct download links to the App Store. Sometime in October macOS 10.15 Catalina should be available to download and install, but Catalina will only support 64bit apps.

Before you upgrade your OS, make sure to have good verified working backups just in case something goes wrong. I also think it is a good idea to create a bootable macOS USB installer just in case something goes wrong.

Sep 21, 2019 12:33 PM in response to HWTech

Thank you for the link, i have both installations downloaded now so when i backup with time machine and arrange my files on my external disk i can try and see what i can install and what not.

I attached a screenshot too of the OSX so that others that may see this know the order and so on.

Which OSX is the best for a Late 2013 Macbook Pro (with OSX currently running 10.9.5)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.