Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel Panic every time MacBook Pro is woken up from sleep. But safe boot works fine

Hello everyone. I have a MacBook Pro 15inch (2017). Lately it keeps restarting everytime I wake it up from Sleep with a kernel panic message. However, everything runs fine in Safe Boot mode.

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 6:41 AM

16 replies

Sep 20, 2019 2:00 PM in response to kaz-k

Thank you for your reply kaz-k. I already have run Diagnostics, it didn’t show up any error and as a plus, I also visited Apple Authorised Service Centre and nothing showed up in their diagnostics too.

I may be wrong here, please forgive me if I am, but, if it works fine in the Safe Boot, doesn’t that take a hardware issue out of the equation?

Sep 21, 2019 7:21 AM in response to bhargavdesai

The fix for "failed to quiet devices" in your 2017 MacBook Pro 15-in was included in the version of Mojave you are running, 10.14.6 with supplemental updates to build number 18G95.

Either your updates did not proceed normally and some part of MacOS was damaged during the update, or you have different Hardware problem not covered by the software update.

To make progress, you need a Trusted Backup.

¿What is the Date&Time of your most recent backup, and by what method?

If you have the slightest doubts about it, you should make another backup, preferably by a different method.

Completely Re-Install MacOS:

Once you have complete confidence in your Backup, boot to Internet Recovery or a bootable Installer/Utilities USB stick, launch Disk Utility, set to Device View, and completely erase your drive, by immutable Hardware-name.

Then re-install MacOS.

Sep 22, 2019 2:22 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

First of all, thank you for your attention and reply to this thread Grant.

You are right, it started happening after the 10.14.6 update and has persisted ever since even if I downgrade (High Sierra) or upgrade (to Catalina).

I did take your advice and after erasing my drive, having renamed it 'Macintosh HD', reinstalled macOS again.

But unfortunately the error persists.

However, as mentioned in the description, works completely fine in the Safe Mode.

Sep 22, 2019 9:47 AM in response to bhargavdesai

Start a new thread and post that specific question. Technically-oriented Readers familiar with 2017 and later MacBook Pro CAN answer that question, they are just not looking down this already long thread on a slightly different subject.

suggested title:

Is my MacBook Pro 2017 firmware up-to-date?

Be sure to post some text as well as your screenshot, because there is a Bug in the forum software if you post ONLY a graphic.

Sep 22, 2019 9:49 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Okay Grant. I'll go with your advice. Thank you for being there for me and your prompt replies!

Last question, is there any other issue you can think of other than the firmware? Or should I assume if the firmware checks out that it's not hardware related? (Since it passed all the tests at Authorised Service Centre Diagnostics combined with the fact that it works in Safe Mode)

Kernel Panic every time MacBook Pro is woken up from sleep. But safe boot works fine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.