Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid-2014 Pro w/Retina - single beep when booting

I had to replace my battery due to swelling issues. Once I installed the new battery and put everything back together, upon trying to boot I am not getting a single beep every few seconds and a blank screen.

Everything I’ve read so far says that means that no memory has been detected, but the memory is hardwired. How can it not detect anything?

Is my laptop fried?

Is there anything I can check or try in order to resolve this short of taking it in to a store? I don’t want to know what it’s going to cost to fix, I may just be better off buying a new one altogether, if this one is done for.

Thank you.

Posted on Sep 20, 2019 2:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 8:40 AM

jwilliams31 wrote:

I had to replace my battery due to swelling issues. Once I installed the new battery and put everything back together, upon trying to boot I am not getting a single beep every few seconds and a blank screen.

Everything I’ve read so far says that means that no memory has been detected, but the memory is hardwired. How can it not detect anything?

Is my laptop fried?

Is there anything I can check or try in order to resolve this short of taking it in to a store? I don’t want to know what it’s going to cost to fix, I may just be better off buying a new one altogether, if this one is done for.

Thank you.

One tone, repeating every five seconds: No RAM is installed. If you recently replaced or upgraded your computer's RAM, check to see if it was installed properly.

About Mac startup tones - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2019 8:40 AM in response to jwilliams31

jwilliams31 wrote:

Is my laptop fried?

Thank you.

One tone, repeating every five seconds: No RAM is installed. If you recently replaced or upgraded your computer's RAM, check to see if it was installed properly.

About Mac startup tones - Apple Support

Sep 20, 2019 4:34 PM in response to jwilliams31

Try an SMC reset.

Try disconnecting the new battery.

Did you use chemicals to remove the battery or did you replace the entire Top Case Assembly? Maybe some of the chemicals got onto the Logic Board and caused damage or somehow something on the Logic Board was accidentally bumped or damaged. If you replaced the entire Top Case Assembly, then perhaps the Logic Board was somehow damaged during the transplant operation.

I'm doubtful this will work, but you can try disconnecting everything from the Logic Board except for the DC-In Board cable just in case something else is interfering and causing the memory issue. This is a long shot if you do not want to have the laptop repaired. If you want Apple to possibly repair the laptop, then skip disconnecting everything as it is very easy to break a cable or a connector.

Mid-2014 Pro w/Retina - single beep when booting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.