Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

always on not working on series 5 Apple watch

Hey.. I got the series 5 Apple Watch yesterday and everything is fine other than the fact that always on does not seem to be working. It’s turned on but it just goes solid black until I raise my arm. I have had a look at all the settings and it should be working. Anyone else have this issue? What did you do to solve it? Both my phone and watch are up to date

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 1:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 2:06 AM

Right I have a update.. I spoke to Apple support just now and it’s a known issue effecting some users.. Apple know about this and there will be an update on the way although an actual date for the release of this update is not available yet but should hopefully come along before the end of the month. The more people that report it the faster we will all be enjoying always on :) hope this sets your mind at ease as it has mine :)

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2019 2:06 AM in response to DaleNewman

Right I have a update.. I spoke to Apple support just now and it’s a known issue effecting some users.. Apple know about this and there will be an update on the way although an actual date for the release of this update is not available yet but should hopefully come along before the end of the month. The more people that report it the faster we will all be enjoying always on :) hope this sets your mind at ease as it has mine :)

Sep 22, 2019 12:22 PM in response to Doren_Sean_Michael

Exact same model too. I spoke with support today and they know about it.. said there’s a update coming out to fix this problem but couldn’t tell me the date for the release of this update.. it’s only a small amount of users having the issue so the more people that send feedback on the Apple site the quicker it will get fixed.. I’m totally with you feeling disappointed too. I was so excited to get it and feel a bit let down. At least they’re working on it I guess

Sep 21, 2019 11:13 PM in response to DaleNewman

Try this:

Always On lets Apple Watch display the watch face and time, even when your wrist is down. When you raise your wrist, Apple Watch functions fully.

1. Open the Settings app  on your Apple Watch.
  2. Tap Display & Brightness, then tap Always On.
  3. Turn on Always On.
  4. Turn on Hide Sensitive Complications to hide calendar events, messages, heart rate, and more when your wrist is down.

Is your iPhone running iOS 13?

Sep 21, 2019 7:12 AM in response to jslaton

Right so I have actually sorted mine now.. I just completely deleted the watch and started over reinstalling it. the same thing happened initially. It was going black as I was dropping my hand. Then I changed the face and it started working. It now stays on but just dims as intended. I hope you get sorted soon because it’s very frustrating :)

Sep 21, 2019 11:37 PM in response to ckuan

Yeah I must of done that 100 times lol.. so far the only thing that worked is completely deleting the watch and reinstalling it all from scratch.. then it worked all day with no issues. I put it on charge and went to bed and got up today and it doesn’t work again.. even though everything is switched on.. I’m gonna contact Apple today I think I got a faulty one maybe. I’m not sure.. see what they say :)

always on not working on series 5 Apple watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.