Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain Password

How do I find my login keychain password?

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 5:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 8:05 AM

Login keychain password is same as the the admin password and always remembered by an administrator , it can't be viewed in keychain access , however can only be reset if one forgets it https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT202860

5 replies

Nov 2, 2019 9:17 PM in response to sarafrombuckeye

if keychain access is opened through spotlight , and press command and comma to open keychain preferences , a pop up window appears , if reset my default keychain is clicked .

login keychain is deactivated as well as iCloud keychain , you have to again fill up the passwords using https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/safari/ibrwa005/13.0/mac/10.15

in user library , in keychain primary folder a new key chain sub folder is created and the old sub keychain folder is deactivated ( you should never delete the old keychain sub folder from the user library ) .

The old passwords stored in keychain that you inquired will be definitely deleted , say if you had back up the Mac with time machine and you think by absorbing passwords from time machine back up and substituting them in user library > keychain folder is impossible , and passwords are encrypted you can't read them .

Nov 2, 2019 1:10 PM in response to tygb

both my 2018 MacBook Pro and my 2016 iMac are running 10.15.1, I know my admin password. When I got this box to enter login keychain password, I entered my admin password as it's the only one I've ever used. Didn't work. Apple Chat had me create a new keychain, and great now I have access to one thing, but the hundreds I had saved on the other keychain are gone.

Keychain Password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.