Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Tv no longer responding to remotes

In the last couple days none of my apple tv's are responding to my remotes. The light blinks when i use the remote but nothing moves on the screen/apple tv. I have tried to reset the box by unplugging and also re-pair the remote to the box but that also does not work. Please advise.

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 8:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 7:20 AM

Thank you for identifying a 3rd generation model.

If the status light blinks, then it acknowledges receiving a signal, but that will be ignored if that remote wasn’t linked/paired (properly).

Please try to unlink and link again, as indicated in If your Apple TV remote isn’t working - Apple Support. Do both step 2 and step 3, in the second half of that support page.

If you have multiple Apple TVs, then the remotes may have been swapped, causing remotes to no longer be linked to the intended unit. That is my guess of what may have happened.

If you replaced a battery in the remote, then that might also be a reason to lose the link.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2019 7:20 AM in response to ekammeye

Thank you for identifying a 3rd generation model.

If the status light blinks, then it acknowledges receiving a signal, but that will be ignored if that remote wasn’t linked/paired (properly).

Please try to unlink and link again, as indicated in If your Apple TV remote isn’t working - Apple Support. Do both step 2 and step 3, in the second half of that support page.

If you have multiple Apple TVs, then the remotes may have been swapped, causing remotes to no longer be linked to the intended unit. That is my guess of what may have happened.

If you replaced a battery in the remote, then that might also be a reason to lose the link.

Apple Tv no longer responding to remotes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.