Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcasts Not Downloading to Apple Watch after watchOS 6 Update

I have an Apple Watch 4 w/ Cellular. Prior to the update, my podcasts would sync and download to the watch so that I could listen to them when I was not in proximity to my phone and without using cellular bandwidth. After the watchOS 6 update, my podcasts appear on my watch, but when I try to play any of them in Library, the episode plays for a few seconds and then quits (the podcast app on the watch closes). I have deleted all my podcasts on the phone and just subscribed to 1, with 1 downloaded episode. Same problem. The eposide on the watch shows the cloud icon on the right which tells me that the episode is not actually downloaded to the watch. I have rebooted both devices. I even unpaired and re-paired the watch. Same problem. My Apple Watch is set to mirror my podcast. Even if I try Custom and select that one specific podcast I have the same problem. One thing that I didn't notice before is that the signal icon (to the left of the time when on a podcast episode...the spinning dots) always turns as though it's looking for a connection.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 5:44 PM

I don't know whether to throw my iPhone, Apple Watch or both at a wall. This is so maddening! Everything was working great until iOS 13 and/or watchOS 6. There is definitely a bug. 13.1 did nothing to resolve this. Here's a list of crazy things I'm witnessing:

1) The list of downloaded episodes on the iPhone do not always show up on the list of episodes for certain shows on the watch when you go into Library/Shows. Some episodes show up on the watch on the list of Episodes. When you try to listen to some from there, the app quits. The watch does not mirror the phone, that's for sure.

2) If I get an updated episode on the iPhone, it gets saved to the watch with no cloud icon. If you listen to the episode for just a few seconds on the iPhone and the watch is being charged nearby, it syncs the episode as played and you can't play it on the watch. The cloud icon reappears for that episode even if it was not there before.

3) It seems that if you subscribe to a new podcast that has existing/past episodes, those download to the phone and they show up on the watch but show the cloud icon. When you click to play on the watch, the app quits. Some however, work which is baffling to me. One thing I have noticed is that new episodes that arrive for this new podcast do get saved to the watch and you can listen to them. It's as though only newly received episodes get saved to the watch, nothing from the past even if you haven;t listened to any of them.

This is a complete mess. I can't believe Apple would botch someting that was already working fine. I hope Apple is aware of this and that they find a fix. I bought the watch mainly to listen to podcasts and not have to lug my phone around all the time.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2019 5:44 PM in response to mason737

I don't know whether to throw my iPhone, Apple Watch or both at a wall. This is so maddening! Everything was working great until iOS 13 and/or watchOS 6. There is definitely a bug. 13.1 did nothing to resolve this. Here's a list of crazy things I'm witnessing:

1) The list of downloaded episodes on the iPhone do not always show up on the list of episodes for certain shows on the watch when you go into Library/Shows. Some episodes show up on the watch on the list of Episodes. When you try to listen to some from there, the app quits. The watch does not mirror the phone, that's for sure.

2) If I get an updated episode on the iPhone, it gets saved to the watch with no cloud icon. If you listen to the episode for just a few seconds on the iPhone and the watch is being charged nearby, it syncs the episode as played and you can't play it on the watch. The cloud icon reappears for that episode even if it was not there before.

3) It seems that if you subscribe to a new podcast that has existing/past episodes, those download to the phone and they show up on the watch but show the cloud icon. When you click to play on the watch, the app quits. Some however, work which is baffling to me. One thing I have noticed is that new episodes that arrive for this new podcast do get saved to the watch and you can listen to them. It's as though only newly received episodes get saved to the watch, nothing from the past even if you haven;t listened to any of them.

This is a complete mess. I can't believe Apple would botch someting that was already working fine. I hope Apple is aware of this and that they find a fix. I bought the watch mainly to listen to podcasts and not have to lug my phone around all the time.

Sep 23, 2019 1:39 PM in response to SongandDanceMan__

Hi Song&DanceMan,

Thanks for the post! As I understand it, you're unable to play podcasts from your Apple Watch and you've found the same issue persists after quite a bit of troubleshooting.

To double-check, are you able to play these podcasts from your iPhone?

You mentioned the signal icon; are you seeing similar behavior only when you try playing a podcast, or when using other functions as well?

Which iOS version are you using under Settings > General > About on your paired iPhone?

Depending on the answers to the above, you might try deleting the Podcasts app from your iPhone and then re-installing it, which will also reinstall it on the Apple Watch. You'll find the steps here: Delete built-in Apple apps on your iOS 12 or later device or Apple Watch

I hope this helps! Take care.

Sep 23, 2019 2:07 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Thanks for your suggestions. I have indeed deleted and reinstalled the podcast app on the iPhone. The iPhone podcast app is behaing fine and I can play all podcasts. I also unpaired the watch, deleted the watch app on the iPhone, reinstalled app and re-paired. Same issue. My wife has the same watch and iPhone and she has the same issue. There's a bug with this update as I never had the issue before. I've had some more time to understand what's going on. Here's what I see happening:

Today, a few of my podcast shows had updated episodes. These episodes were downloaded to the iPhone and the watch. On the watch, the cloud icon is gone telling me that the episode has been saved to the watch's memory. I can play these episodes on the watch from Library. When I'm listening to these locally stored podcast, the signal icons turns constantly. Never noticed that before.

Episodes that were previously downloaded to the iPhone (i.e. they were on the iPhone after I reset the watch), will not get stored to the watch. They appear on the watch in Library but the cloud icon shows for these. Some I can play streaming, others, the app quits for some reason. Even if I delete an episode and re-download it and even set "Mark as unplayed", they still will not save to the watch.

In the watch app, I have set "Add Episodes From" as "Custom" with every show toggled. It should save all episodes on the iPhone to the watch but it doesn't. Even for some shows, the watch is missing some episodes that are on the iPhone and downloaded. They don't show up at all on the watch. For what it's worth, the list of episodes on the iPhone in Listen Now does not fully correspond to what's on the watch, even if I select Listen Now for Add Episodes From.

Something's not right.

Sep 26, 2019 7:06 AM in response to brenden dv

I’m experiencing the same Podcast problems as above and to save you all some time I can tell you that three different Apple tech support reps (including a “senior”) and an hour on the phone produced zero results. They had no info on this issue and could only suggest unpairing/re-pairing, resetting and not restoring from backup, and sending the watch in to Apple. the free Podcast app “Overcast” works fine though.

Podcasts Not Downloading to Apple Watch after watchOS 6 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.