Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13 Update— FaceTime front camera

Anyone else have an issue on FaceTime after the iOS 13 update where the front camera only appears as a black screen?

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 7:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2019 9:29 PM

Same thing here on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. Front camera works fine in camera mode but in FaceTime, it’s nearly black. When in a bright room, it shows a very dim picture, practically black when the same shot in camera mode looks normal. It’s as if the aperture is nearly closed causing the picture to be way too dark but only for FaceTime calls. Hopefully fixed in the upcoming 13.1.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2019 9:29 PM in response to Jams_B

Same thing here on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. Front camera works fine in camera mode but in FaceTime, it’s nearly black. When in a bright room, it shows a very dim picture, practically black when the same shot in camera mode looks normal. It’s as if the aperture is nearly closed causing the picture to be way too dark but only for FaceTime calls. Hopefully fixed in the upcoming 13.1.

Sep 23, 2019 6:47 PM in response to Eric D.

Same problem. Took a bit to find this post. The person I face timed with did not update to 13.0. I could see them fine, but my front camera shows VERY Dark (almost black) to both of us. The back camera works fine. Good thing I have not upgraded my iPad. I guess we are waiting for a patch release now...

iOS 13 Update— FaceTime front camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.