Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connecting an ethernet drive to velop and using it for time machine

I have a time capsule connected via ethernet cable to a velop network (3 nodes). I use the TC strictly for time machine. That TC is now 4 years old and I am concerned about failure. How can I attach a new external drive to Velop (Velop has no USB connection only Ethernet) to fulfill a purely time machine backup role.?

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 4:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 10:14 AM

Synology systems are available as pre-packaged, or as boxes where you configure the required storage.

CAD$400 for both a NAS box and storage seems reasonable. That’s not that are off a 3 TB Time Capsule (USD$379, ~CAD$500, and no longer manufactured), and most any the Synology supports twice the internal disks as the Time Capsule.

If you want cheap, hang some hard disks directly off the Macs.

If you have your own hardware available, see if FreeNAS will work for you.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2019 10:14 AM in response to filippeV

Synology systems are available as pre-packaged, or as boxes where you configure the required storage.

CAD$400 for both a NAS box and storage seems reasonable. That’s not that are off a 3 TB Time Capsule (USD$379, ~CAD$500, and no longer manufactured), and most any the Synology supports twice the internal disks as the Time Capsule.

If you want cheap, hang some hard disks directly off the Macs.

If you have your own hardware available, see if FreeNAS will work for you.

Sep 22, 2019 9:36 AM in response to filippeV

Thank you for the reply. The two household MBP's have resident data at 600Gig+. From what I see Synology NAS start at $200CAD for 512 Gigb (too small - no room for extra storage in a different folder) and then jump right up to $400CAD for 2Tb. Expensive. So I wonder if I am buying something that is designed for considerably more than my Time Machine purpose. Also not sure about ethernet connection vs usb depending on model (Synology site is light on specs?). Would a LaCie array be better for me with a more affordable price/reliability ratio?

connecting an ethernet drive to velop and using it for time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.