Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Browsers Protection for Safari and Adblocker for free

When I updated to Safari 13 I lost my extension called Bit-defender Traffic light. Is there anyone out there that knows of a safe and free one to use. I liked seeing green check marks when I did search in safari. I have attached what I am looking to have again.

Thank you all for your help.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 8:44 AM

59 replies

Sep 22, 2019 9:11 AM in response to DODGE01CHALLENGERSRT01_01

Safari 13 should be more effective in blocking ads, do you find that? Here' an article that explains it - somewhat:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-neutered-ad-blockers-in-safari-but-unlike-chrome-users-didnt-say-a-thing/

"Both Chrome and Safari will use a new extensions backend. They will limit how extensions intercept and block web requests by preventing the extension from interacting with the web request directly. Instead, the extension will deploy a set of "content blocking rules" and the browser will do the blocking without the extension seeing any user data."

You are getting San Diego weather 😎

Sep 22, 2019 9:29 AM in response to macjack

read that article but is there a way turn turn of the backend when I login to Coke Rewards and Kellogg Rewards how can I tun off the backend for these websites? Also what do you think of these browsers Brave browser and Opera I cannot find those old comments on these. When they did a update to this board I let the person in charge know that some of my history is gone.

Thank you buddy.

Sep 22, 2019 9:39 AM in response to macjack

Hmm. I'm a bit confused. I have Safari 13 installed and the Extensions tab is still in its preferences. Along them my active extensions for 1Password and Ka-Block!.

Though I think you may be referring to a change that was already partially active, and is now full on. It had something to do with older plug-ins/extensions. The makers of AdGuard mentioned it a while back. Extensions written using an older method were being phased out because possible bugs made it too easy to bypass OS security. Sounds like they're completely disallowed now.

However, you can still get ad blockers by just going to the menu bar (with Safari 13 in the foreground) and choosing Safari > Safari Extensions. Plenty to pick from.

Sep 22, 2019 10:00 AM in response to macjack

Yo bro you just sent this to me? I have it bookmarked now.

If its on the back end it also affects some website that I want to enter codes for Coke Rewards and Kellogg Rewards and then it tell me to take of the blocker to login. How do I turn it off to get into those account. I miss ad blockers cause I am getting so many as well.

Sep 24, 2019 10:26 AM in response to BDAqua

It's funny but I never used an ad blocker and never found any ads to be particularly intrusive. Sometimes an ad will intrude into an article I'm reading or a video I'm watching but I can click that off. I'd try one just to see the difference but my Safari is running so well, I don't feel like messing with it. I get less adventurous in my old age ;)

Browsers Protection for Safari and Adblocker for free

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.