Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 stuck on update screen

new iPhone 11, attempting to asign as previous restore from previous phone and now stuck on white screen black apple loading screen?

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 10:08 AM

What exactly do you mean by "attempting to assign as previous restore from previous phone"

Are you setting up as new iPhone or restoring from previous backup --> Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

4 replies

Sep 27, 2019 7:59 AM in response to slawjack

I tried to restore from a previous (iPhoneX) backup. First thing I had to do was update iOS on the new phone as my backup had the most recent patch while the inbox 11 did not. After that, the restore hung (I'm talking 3+ hours). Tried rebooting computer, same issue, tried recovery mode in 11, same issue.

BUT I solved it by putting 11 in DFU mode (if you dont know how, search online, there are many tutorials). I got an immediate "set up new iphone from backup" (or something like that) in itunes, and it worked - 14 minutes. Don't let the BS "how many photos do you have" throw you. I have easily several thousand and the number of photos is NOT the problem. I suspect some sort of software issue when you are restoring from an IOS version that is more recent than the out of the box 11 version.

TL;DR - if your black update screen gets hung on the 99%+ status bar, put your phone into DFU mode and restore from backup that way. I had a pretty large (120GB) backup and it took less than 15 minutes.

iPhone 11 stuck on update screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.