Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp install failure: inaccessible boot device

I'm setting up a brand new 15" 2019 MacBook Pro for a daughter who needs Windows for some school work. The machine is a beast, with a 1TB SSD and 32GB RAM (she's an architecture student).

I setup macOS just fine, and ran BootCamp to install a freshly downloaded ISO of Windows 10 Pro 1903. I configured it for a 50/50 split of the internal drive, so each OS gets approximately 500GB. Nice, huh?

Important note: I set this up with File Vault for regular disk encryption. I didn't think that would affect Boot Camp, but who knows.

Windows seemed to install nicely until I got to the BootCamp tools. That installation started, then the screen went completely blank. After determining that it was totally unresponsive, I restarted the Mac with the power button. Windows fails to boot, displaying an "inaccessible boot device" stop message. It then automatically restarts and Windows says it is "preparing automatic repair". At that point, it displays (on a blue screen, of course) a list of keyboards to choose, but that's it. I can't select anything, it doesn't do anything. Stuck.

Now what? All suggestions welcome.

1. Is File Vault a problem?
  2. Is Windows 10 1903 a problem?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 3:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 4:06 AM

Try W10 1809v2, instead of W10 1903.

Similar questions

3 replies

Boot Camp install failure: inaccessible boot device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.