Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing photos

Long story short. The photos I take with my phone were automatically downloading to my son’s iPad. Because I took them with my phone I deleted them off his iPad. It also deleted them off my phone and now I can’t recover them. Why did they not go to my iCloud? Any chance I can get those photos back? I’m devastated!

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 4:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 4:25 PM

Hello!

Oh no, sorry that happened! I know that can be a horrible feeling when your photos disappear. Sounds like you might have had iCloud Photo Library enabled on your iPhone and son's iPad. With iCloud Photo library enabled, if you delete a photo from iCloud and all devices signed in with the same Apple ID.

Get help with missing photos

Get help with iCloud Photos

How do I delete photos and videos from a device using iCloud Photos?

If you want to remove photos and videos from all your iOS devices, your Mac, and iCloud.com, you can delete them in the Photos app

When you delete a photo or video from your Photos app, it also deletes from your iCloud Photos and iCloud storage. You can recover your photos and videos from the Recently Deleted album for 30 days.

It also sounds like it could be Photo Stream as well:

When you delete a photo from My Photo Stream on one device, the photo is removed from Photos and iCloud. The photos that you import from My Photo Stream to your other devices won’t be deleted.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2019 4:25 PM in response to Katiebug1109

Hello!

Oh no, sorry that happened! I know that can be a horrible feeling when your photos disappear. Sounds like you might have had iCloud Photo Library enabled on your iPhone and son's iPad. With iCloud Photo library enabled, if you delete a photo from iCloud and all devices signed in with the same Apple ID.

Get help with missing photos

If you want to remove photos and videos from all your iOS devices, your Mac, and iCloud.com, you can delete them in the Photos app

When you delete a photo or video from your Photos app, it also deletes from your iCloud Photos and iCloud storage. You can recover your photos and videos from the Recently Deleted album for 30 days.

It also sounds like it could be Photo Stream as well:

When you delete a photo from My Photo Stream on one device, the photo is removed from Photos and iCloud. The photos that you import from My Photo Stream to your other devices won’t be deleted.

Sep 23, 2019 8:27 PM in response to Katiebug1109

If you have iCloud Photo Library enabled, deleting the photos from the device, will remove it from iCloud.

In Settings > Your Name > iCloud or Settings > Photos on your device, is iCloud Photo Library enabled?

If yes,

You deleted them from iCloud when deleting from your device.

Missing photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.