Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri and dictation

My voice to text and Siri are not working on my series 3 Apple Watch. I have tried restarting, unpairing, un-enabling everything and it still does not work. Is my microphone broken?

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 23, 2019 7:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2019 12:06 PM

Tochs11,

Thanks for following up.

It does seem to be a possible hardware-related failure, but let me ask a few more questions to confirm.

-Are you saying "Hey Siri" when providing commands, or do you have to press the side button because Siri does not hear you when saying "Hey Siri"?

-When you unpaired and set up your Apple Watch again with your iPhone, did you set up as new, or restore from a backup? If you restored from a backup, can you also test setting it up as new?

If the issue remains after setting up your Apple Watch as new, you may want to consider having your watch serviced to inspect the hardware next. You can explore service options in your area by speaking with support here: Contact - Official Apple Support or by visiting your local Apple Store Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple or Apple Authorized Service Provider Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2019 12:06 PM in response to Tochs11

Tochs11,

Thanks for following up.

It does seem to be a possible hardware-related failure, but let me ask a few more questions to confirm.

-Are you saying "Hey Siri" when providing commands, or do you have to press the side button because Siri does not hear you when saying "Hey Siri"?

-When you unpaired and set up your Apple Watch again with your iPhone, did you set up as new, or restore from a backup? If you restored from a backup, can you also test setting it up as new?

If the issue remains after setting up your Apple Watch as new, you may want to consider having your watch serviced to inspect the hardware next. You can explore service options in your area by speaking with support here: Contact - Official Apple Support or by visiting your local Apple Store Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple or Apple Authorized Service Provider Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

Sep 25, 2019 12:57 PM in response to Tochs11

Hello Tochs11,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! It's my understanding that you are not able to use Dictation, or Siri on your Apple Watch. I am happy to help.

You've done some fantastic steps already in an attempt to get this resolved. Can you tell me which watchOS version you are using?

Is Siri turning on when provoked, but unable to hear your commands? Do you get a specific alert or response from Siri when it fails to work? Use Siri on your Apple Watch - Apple Support Check out the steps under the section titled, "If Siri doesn't respond or asks you to try again"

What happens when you attempt to use Dictation exactly? Use Dictation on your Apple Watch - Apple Support Does it fail to work across all apps, or just within certain apps?

Reach back out to us with your responses, if the issue remains.

Regards.

Sep 26, 2019 1:59 PM in response to Tochs11

Tochs11,

Thanks for confirming those details.

We'll definitely want to explore the possibility that you may be experiencing a microphone hardware failure. To be sure, you'll want to continue with support here: Contact - Official Apple Support Apple Support can explore all available options for you in your area. If you don't have an Apple Store, there may be a local Apple Authorized Service Provider in the area. You can locate them using this link: Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

Take care!

Siri and dictation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.