Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

camera not working iphone x

After updating to ios 13 my iPhone X camera is not working, it's just completely black. This is also the case where camera is used for all apps. Does anyone have a fix?

I thought ios 13.1 would fix it, but I've also updated and still experiencing the same issue.

Please note, I've turned on and off and I've done a reset of the phone and force closed everything. Still not working.

iPhone X

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 3:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 9:05 PM

I took my phone in to apple and they gave me a full replacement for free! Take yours in straight away.

There's definitely a big issue with it, especially with the FaceID. My phone had that issue too!

36 replies

Sep 28, 2019 9:28 AM in response to Snafunk

• Upgraded to 13.1.1 and the camera app still doesn't work in 1x, however if you press the 2x button the camera works.
  • Called Apple Care, they ran a remote diagnostic and said its a hardware issue which seems like BS since the camera works in 2x and in all other 3rd party camera apps.
  • Tried to do a Wells Fargo mobile deposit and that camera is not working
  • Heading to the Apple Store on Tuesday for an appointment.

I can't believe Apple would mess this up this bad. No idea what their software QA process is like but clearly its not that good anymore.

Sep 24, 2019 4:18 PM in response to sallypearson

Exactly the same has happened to me.

iPhone X - installed iOS 13 - camera neither takes videos or photos but remains black... then installed iOS 13.1 hoping this would fix it the glitch. But camera still remains black. Turned off and on the phone 3 times. Reset the settings. All a waste of time. Incredibly frustrating. This happened after loading iOS 13. And no my camera lenses are not covered up!

Sep 24, 2019 8:07 PM in response to sallypearson

This same exact issue happened to me. The morning that 13 was released I updated my phone. I happened to use my camera 20 minutes before the update and it worked fine. The instant the update went through my camera no longer worked. In addition to that, my light does not work as well. I do not know if you have tested that to see if is not working.

I have a known issue where my FaceID stopped working in December of 2018. I have never had it repaired. I do not know how that would affect my two cameras and my light but I thought I would mention it.

I am currently updating to 13.1 to see if it fixes it. Today is the first time that I have been able to update. I have done multiple resets on my phone already. I hope this works. I'll let you know.

Sep 24, 2019 9:12 PM in response to sallypearson

ANSWER: I should also note that I have been having issues with the Face ID not working for the last few months.

I ended up taking my problematic iPhone X into the apple store and they replaced it for free as the issues cant be fixed.

If you're having the same issues please take you device into Apple and they should replace it for you.

Side note: mine was free under 2year warranty. Thank goodness!

Sep 25, 2019 10:47 AM in response to Gregory907

It is still broken.

13.1 did not resolve this issue. To expand upon this, my camera app will open. I can select all the different kinds of photos/videos but I have a blank screen. I can open any other application that uses the camera and I will have a blank screen.

I had a new issue with the light last night. I opened up the light after 13.1 to try to troubleshoot the issue. When I brought up the control to change the intensity of the light, my screen locked up. It was locked up for 10-15 seconds. I thought I had to do a hard restart but it eventually gave me back control.

Sep 27, 2019 2:51 PM in response to Gregory907

Same issue with my iPhone X. The upgrade to 13 and 13.1 causes the main camera to go black. The front facing camera works fine and when I use other apps such as Halide, Spectr, Camera+ the camera works fine, its just not working in the Apple app.

I'm downloading 13.1.1 right now and will report back to see if that does the trick.

Sep 29, 2019 11:28 PM in response to sallypearson

So this has happened to my phone today as well. I am in Australia and I purchased my phone 15 months ago in New York. So Apple will only cover 12 months for that.

answer from Apple in Sydney-replace the phone $808.

its clearly a software update issue, my phone was fine before the overnight update to 13.1

really poor service and response from Apple

Sep 30, 2019 2:21 PM in response to Snafunk

Just to let you guys know an update on my camera issue: it was updating to IOS 13.1 that caused my camera and Face ID to turn off.

now last night I got my camera back. It came back out of nowhere. This morning I turned my phone off and on for a flight and now I’ve turned it back on my camera is gone again.

Apple store Genius employee told me it’s a hardware issue-sorry but these guys aren’t tech experts and he wouldn’t accept its software related. Any answers Apple?

Oct 1, 2019 7:47 AM in response to sallypearson

Apple support doesn’t know the issues that are introduced due to their recent software upgrades and just give some wrong solutions which will cost us a bomb.

This is purely an software issue and Apple support said its an hardware without any rationale.

Update the latest iOS patch 13.1.2 and it will fix the issue. Mine got fixed and saved 981$ 😥

camera not working iphone x

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.