Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

McAfee virus on Macbook

I am getting notifications in the corner of my screen saying McAfee has expired. I don't have McAfee, and whats even stranger provides a link for redrelaxfollow.com. I do not think I have downloaded anything recently, let alone from an unknown site. However, I may have accidentally clicked on an unsecure site while looking for a fragrance oil/candle/soap making site my friend buys supplies from. Could this have lead to a virus on my Macbook? I scanned for viruses several times in Malwarebytes but it says I'm clean. What should I do? Has anyone else come across this problem?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 3:59 PM

6 replies

Sep 24, 2019 9:48 PM in response to Barney-15E

I get it as a notification on the right corner of my screen. But yes it does seem to be a scam. It’s weird that it pops up even when my browser is closed. So far it hasn’t popped up in the past couple hours, but I’m not sure if it will again. It does say to fix the “threats” to renew my McAfee by clicking a link to redrelaxfollow.com. Obviously I’m not falling for that. But it’s weird that it’s in my notifications while my browser is closed.

Sep 24, 2019 10:30 PM in response to decepticar217

decepticar217 Said:

I get it as a notification on the right corner of my screen. [...]It’s weird that it pops up even when my browser is closed. So far it hasn’t popped up in the past couple hours, but I’m not sure if it will again....

———-

Confirm if your Browser is Open:

Go To: Apple menu > Force Quit... > Look for “Safari” (or the Browser you are using).

If the browser is still open, then that would be why you are still getting these messages: all that was closed or minimized is the browser window. The Web browser app itself was not quit.

So, Force Quit the Web browser and confirm if nothing pops up.

McAfee virus on Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.