Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CarPlay Not Working on iOS13.1

I upgraded my iPhone 11 Pro Max to 13.1 and now CarPlay will not work. I've disabled Bluetooth, reset the phone, forgot the car on the phone, forgot the phone on the car, tried all 3 USB ports, tried different cables, and nothing will work. The car recognizes the phone is connected and will play music as if it were an iPod. I tried my girlfriend's iPhone 11 Pro running iOS 13 and it works fine. iOS13 had some bugs to where I'd have to plug and unplug the phone a couple times before it would register as CarPlay. I was really hoping 13.1 would fix the problem, but it seems to have broken CarPlay for me completely. Any suggestions that I'm missing? It's a little frustrating to say the least.

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 5:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2019 8:13 AM

I was able to get mine to at least work. In my car under settings, there was a CarPlay settings menu. When I clicked on that, there was a button on the right that said "Activate Device." So with the phone plugged in, I hit that button and my phone started using CarPlay again. It's still extremely buggy though. Sometimes it won't recognize my device at all and I have to hard reset the phone. Other times it will recognize the phone, but I won't have any sound. It seems to be the worst if the phone had been connected to my AirPods while at the gym, then I leave and get into my car and plug the phone in. It can't seem to process what to do, even though my headphones were in their case and put away.

58 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2019 8:13 AM in response to bdh4136

I was able to get mine to at least work. In my car under settings, there was a CarPlay settings menu. When I clicked on that, there was a button on the right that said "Activate Device." So with the phone plugged in, I hit that button and my phone started using CarPlay again. It's still extremely buggy though. Sometimes it won't recognize my device at all and I have to hard reset the phone. Other times it will recognize the phone, but I won't have any sound. It seems to be the worst if the phone had been connected to my AirPods while at the gym, then I leave and get into my car and plug the phone in. It can't seem to process what to do, even though my headphones were in their case and put away.

Nov 15, 2019 6:48 AM in response to BrownT57

Update*

I took my iPhone to an Apple store (London Bromley) made them replace the device, they gave me a brand new iPhone 11 Pro, it wasn't easy trying to persuade them to give it to me. But as soon as I connected it to my car, Apple Car Play started working instantly.

It's been 3 days now and it has been working fine with no problems, so I do believe it may be a connectivity issue on a select few devices. If you still in warranty and can get to an Apple store, I would advise changing your device with a new one and see if that solves the connection issues.

Sep 30, 2019 11:55 AM in response to jeremiahhouse08

From Engineers:

Hello Jeremiah

From Engineering:

I just got a alert on my end, stating that the update to 13.1.2 SHOULD fix the issue that you’re having with your iPhone 11 Pro Max

As such, when you have the time, do a iTunes backup of your iPhone (just in case), and use iTunes to do the 13.1.2 update, and respond back to me if it fixes the CarPlay issue, please.

Sep 30, 2019 7:50 PM in response to jeremiahhouse08

Have you attempted to forget the device on both the car and phone? Mine has worked better with 13.1.2. The more I plug it in and use it, the better it gets at recognizing. First time after updating, I had to unplug and replug 3 times before the device was recognized. Next time, it only took 2. Then the last time the phone was recognized immediately. I was even able to enable my Bluetooth in my car again and when I plugged the phone in, it disconnected the Bluetooth and started using CarPlay as normal.

Oct 2, 2019 5:51 AM in response to cdominguez2007

After speaking with Engineers further I *believe* I've found a fix. Update via iTunes to the latest software. Then reset All Network Settings. After that remove your car from CarPlay and then plug in and set up again. This seems to have worked for me. It recognizes my phone every time I get in it now. I will say during a drive I did a test of several plug/unplug attempts and it didn't recognize once but this is still significantly better than what I was dealing with (never recognizing it) and it at least allows me use of CarPlay while Apple figures out the ultimate fix.

Oct 7, 2019 6:31 PM in response to jeremiahhouse08

Same issue here. iPhone 11 pro with latest software and driving a a 2019 GMC Acadia. Been logging all my issues but can’t wrap my head around what’s causing it. It’s so random. Here is what has happened in the last 3 days.:

Friday

-Started car Apple Car play took about 1 minute to connect after phone was plugged in. Worked the whole way to Dunkin Donuts. Got back in the car and it reconnected with a black screen. It started to play the song I was on and then stopped working. Plugged and unplugged the USB cable and it connected right away.

-Left work and it took about 2 min to connect.

Saturday

-Wouldn’t connect at all. Had to forget device and reconnect. Got in and out of the car multiple times and it worked with no issues after that.

Sunday

-repeat of Friday

Noticed each time the phone immediately starts charging when plugged in so it seems there is a bug in the car play.

Oct 7, 2019 8:23 PM in response to Noisenet

Just went out to my truck, plugged in and no go. Went into settings and selected forget this car. Went into the CarPlay menu in the trucks system to forget this device. Found entries for my prior two iPhones and two entries for this one. So I deleted them all. Turned CarPlay off in the car system. Re-enabled it. Plugged in the phone, nothing. Then hit the add device button, it said it’ll use this phone (the name of this phone). But it didn’t launch CarPlay. Then I hit the projection button, it asked if I want to use CarPlay for this phone, on the phone it asked if I want to allow this vehicle to use CarPlay. Then it launched and worked. I unplugged and replugged. It took a minute or so then launched.

so I’m giving the car system a few minutes to totally turn off, am about to check it again.

hooe this works.

Oct 8, 2019 12:20 PM in response to Fill182

Tested out an iPhone X with 13.1.2 at lunch today and car play worked flawlessly. I am frustrated. I called Apple and they assigned me a senior advisor and have a call tomorrow at 9am with an engineer. I suggest everyone should call and at least put a ticket in for this issue with the new iPhone. It stinks that we upgrade and then things don’t work as promised.

Oct 8, 2019 8:29 PM in response to JLAudio

I actually had problems with the iPhone 11 Pro Max, and iPhone XS Max after updating to 13.1. Is your Bluetooth also on? I have noticed that my phone seems to respond better to CarPlay if Bluetooth is turned off. It’s almost as if there’s a glitch of the Bluetooth disconnecting once you plug the phone in for CarPlay. Mine seems to be completely hit or miss though. One time I’ll get in the car and it will work flawlessly. The next time I’ll get in and it won’t recognize. It’s definitely a software glitch. I’m with another poster who said it does charge immediately upon plugging in.

I signed up for beta testing so I’m running 13.2 and it’s still very hit or miss.

CarPlay Not Working on iOS13.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.