Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ORICO TFM2T3-G40 Thunderbolt 3 M.2 NVMe Enclosure with Intel 760p 2TB SSD Performance on iMac 2019

Hi all!

I've tested the performance of the above combination on iMac 2019 (Blackmagic Design Disk Speed Test) vs Lenovo ThinkPad T580 (CrystalDiskMark) and couldn't understand why the combination perform better on ThinkPad. Pictures attached.

Note: I also performed same tests on both machines using the USB-C version of the product, ORICO PRM2-C3 with the same SSD and the USB-C combination outperformed the Thunderbolt 3 combination on iMac (not ThinkPad - ThinkPad result shown that Thunderbolt 3 combination was faster).

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 7:07 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 25, 2019 7:57 PM in response to Sin Min

Try an SMC reset and PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for a full minute so it activates several times).

Is there a firmware update for the Orico enclosure?

Does another brand of Thunderbolt 3 enclosure work properly? If not, then maybe there is an issue with the Thunderbolt 3 port on your iMac which may require the iMac to be repaired.

FYI, Macs don't always play nicely with some external enclosures, docks, adapters (personal experience). If another brand of Thunderbolt 3 enclosure works, then you should contact Orico for support.

Oct 4, 2019 9:42 AM in response to Sin Min

Just a quick update...

I tested the same drive with my friend's 2018 MacBook Air and the speed went over 1000MB/s. Looks like something to do with iMac 2019. I was unable to find another iMac 2019 to test, will try to contact local service centre and see if I can test the drive on their iMac 2019 (if available).

Nov 3, 2019 5:45 AM in response to Sin Min

Another update...

I brought the SSD to local Apple Store and tested it on both in store iMac 2019 (27”) and iMac 2017 (21”).

Guess what? The iMac 2019 performed exactly like mine (800MB+/s R/W speed) while the iMac 2017 hit 1,200MB+/s R/W speed!

I’d appreciate if Apple can advise on this findings.

Thank you!

ORICO TFM2T3-G40 Thunderbolt 3 M.2 NVMe Enclosure with Intel 760p 2TB SSD Performance on iMac 2019

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.