Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 11 Pro Max stuck at black screen with apple logo while updating iOS 13.1

How to reboot or cancel the update?

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 7:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply
39 replies

Sep 27, 2019 8:50 AM in response to ProMaxUpdate

I am having the same problem too, I've got my phone yesterday in the afternoon, after signing in the device and did the ios 13.1 update and the device was stuck on the Apple logo screen with the endless circle spinning forever. I leave my device overnight and it is still spinning for more than 12 hours and I tried the force reboot without any luck

Sep 27, 2019 9:09 AM in response to trieu144

You need to do these steps:

1. Download iTunes to your computer - Mac or Windows
  2. Update iTunes to the latest version and launch iTunes on your computer and login to the iTunes using apple id that you would use for the iphone.
  3. Connect your iphone to the computer using a USB cable
  4. itunes would then recognize the iPhone
  5. Now you can do the 3 steps of press and release Up-volume button, Down-volume button, and then press and hold the side button until the iphone starts properly.

Hope this helps

Dec 19, 2019 12:23 AM in response to trieu144

This was the ONLY thing that made my phone to be recognize by itunes. Thanks to https://appletoolbox.com/

1. On your iPhone, press the following combination of buttons:
    1. Quickly press and release the Volume Up button.
    2. Quickly press and release the Volume Down button.
    3. Press and hold the Side button for 10–15 seconds, until the screen turns black.
    4. Keep holding the Side button and also press the Volume Down button for another 5 seconds.
    5. Keep holding the Volume Down button but release the Side button for another 10 seconds.
  2. If it worked, your computer should detect an iPhone in Recovery Mode but the screen on your iPhone will remain blank.
  3. On your computer, agree to Restore your device.

Sep 27, 2019 4:08 AM in response to ProMaxUpdate

Or you just got really unlucky? Not saying you're wrong, but given it's something that's happening to a lot of people, and the Volume Up/Volume Down/Lock hold trick didn't work for you, it may just be an unfortunate fluke.

For me the Volume Up/Volume Down/Hold Lock key trick worked a charm, and I'll be updating it through iTunes later on today.

Thank you to rmarchia and William Kacharski for the advice, you have made my day.

Oct 18, 2019 9:23 AM in response to trieu144

Thanks for this offer of a solution but it unfortunately didn't work for me. iTunes isn't even recognizing my phone when I connect it. I initiated the iOS update before bed last night - realizing I should have made sure the update completed before going to sleep - and woke up to the Apple symbol and spinning ball. I've tried the button solution multiple times (and have held the lock button for five minutes with no change). It may be Genius Bar time, unfortunately.

Oct 25, 2019 7:11 PM in response to trieu144

I have been using my brand new phone for two days. I downloaded the latest IOS update, 13.1.3 dated15OCT2019, no problem. However, it has been trying to install for three hours now. None of the reboot options work and I'm holding the buttons down for several minutes each time. I see the Apple logo and the spinner underneath.

What gives? How in the **** do you reboot if your only option doesn't work? Am I supposed to wait for the battery to die to get this thing to turn off?

So much for my $1,000 birthday present from my daughter. I have always had Androids until now. This isn't how I envisioned my first iPhone experience.

Oct 25, 2019 9:44 PM in response to jonalyn0822

I dealt with this early on in this discussion board. have had phone now for a few weeks.

Power/volume combo didn’t work for me like it has for others.

I had to leave my phone on allowing the battery to exhaust itself. Charged it for a few minutes and it started normally. I have yet to update beyond 13 as that’s how it came from the factory and I’m nervous to do so as I don’t want to encounter issue again, besides appears apple’s updates haven’t been meaningful enough to pursued me.

apple still has not comment regarding this issue...thanks apple

Oct 26, 2019 7:59 AM in response to ProMaxUpdate

I finally took a chance and unseated the SIM card. The whole reason I wanted this model was to combine my personal number and my work number. My carrier, T-mobile, had just installed the e-SIM card earlier that day and I had just plugged in my work SIM. It was working fine for several hours until I tried to update it. Once I popped out the work SIM card, it immediately proceeded to the home screen. The update didn't install though so I left the SIM card out. At that point I decided to try the update again - it downloaded and installed correctly but the phone got really, really hot during this process. Once the update finished I put my work SIM card back in and it worked fine after that. Guess I will be pulling that SIM out when I do updates. I have no idea why that made a difference.

I have an appointment today to have it looked at. It is mind blowing that a two-day old, $1,100 phone couldn't handle something that it was designed to do.

Oct 28, 2019 9:34 AM in response to blondascorner

The same problem of black screen with white apple logo and white spinning circle while trying to update to iOS 13.13 happened to my new i11 pro max. The phone did not reposed to pressing buttons in any sequence for any reasonable duration. To bump the upgrade process I removed the SIM card then cycled through pressing top and bottom volume buttons and a brief hold on the lock button. The white logo and circles disappeared. I re-inserted the SIM card, and the phone came back to life and showed 13.12 iOS active. I then re-install of the 13.13 update and it went to completion quickly with no other problem. The phone has been OK since then.

Interestingly, when I purchased the phone the sales associate at the apple store asked if I wanted to replace the SIM card in the new phone with the card from my old phone as an option that might make it easier to keep AT+T settings. It seemed like an unusual remark but it was the reason I tried removing it to interrupt the iOS upgrade. I assume that the upgraded software was in part to fix this iOS upgrade bug. We shall see.

Iphone 11 Pro Max stuck at black screen with apple logo while updating iOS 13.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.