Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro continually booting to black screen after resetting NVRAM

I have a MacBook Pro (15 in. early 2011) that continually boots to a black screen even though the startup chime sounds. Usually after attempting to reset the NVRAM a couple times, the screen lights up and my MacBook boots properly, but once I shut it down and try to power it up again it encounters the same problem. I've booted to a black screen and reset the NVRAM around five or six times now to use my computer. Why does this keep happening and how can I fix it?

Note: the discrete GPU on my MacBook Pro doesn't work anymore but I've configured my MacBook to run on the integrated GPU instead. It has been running fine since I did this with the exception of the past week or so when I began having this issue. I'm wondering if this may be part of the problem.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 4:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 9:04 AM

ApplePieGiraffe wrote:

Note: the discrete GPU on my MacBook Pro doesn't work anymore but I've configured my MacBook to run on the integrated GPU instead. It has been running fine since I did this with the exception of the past week or so when I began having this issue. I'm wondering if this may be part of the problem.

Sure seems like it could very likely be related.

If you shine a bright light through the back of the lid (through the apple) can you see your screen when booted up? If so then the GPU is functioning , but your screen has died.

If you can plug in an external monitor this might be informative. External monitors are only responsible to receive the signals like VGA, HDMI or DVI from your Motherboard or your Graphic card.

If the external monitor fires up then you have LCD/LED screen issue. If you get the same black screen you know it is the final GPU which has failed.

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"—

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Apple may refuse to work on your older Mac, Vintage and obsolete products - Apple Support

however third party computer repair would not have this limitation.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2019 9:04 AM in response to ApplePieGiraffe

ApplePieGiraffe wrote:

Sure seems like it could very likely be related.

If you shine a bright light through the back of the lid (through the apple) can you see your screen when booted up? If so then the GPU is functioning , but your screen has died.

If you can plug in an external monitor this might be informative. External monitors are only responsible to receive the signals like VGA, HDMI or DVI from your Motherboard or your Graphic card.

If the external monitor fires up then you have LCD/LED screen issue. If you get the same black screen you know it is the final GPU which has failed.

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"—

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Apple may refuse to work on your older Mac, Vintage and obsolete products - Apple Support

however third party computer repair would not have this limitation.

Sep 30, 2019 1:49 AM in response to leroydouglas

The screen on my MacBook Pro definitely works because when my MacBook Pro boots normally (after resetting the NVRAM several times) the screen lights up and I can use my MacBook Pro for almost anything I want. I just don't know why I have to reset the NVRAM a couple times to make my MacBook Pro boot normally.

Note: I understand that when the NVRAM is reset the startup chime is supposed to sound twice but so far whenever I reset the NVRAM my MacBook Pro has only chimed once and since the screen doesn't light up so I have no indication of whether the NVRAM has been reset or not. I only assume this is what's been working because after repeating this process several times, the startup chime sounds, the screen comes on some time later, and my MacBook Pro boots normally. Perhaps the NVRAM really isn't being reset for some odd reason and my MacBook Pro is just normally booting randomly.

MacBook Pro continually booting to black screen after resetting NVRAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.