Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to obtain 10.10 from 10.9.5

how can we currently update our operating system from 10.9.5, when every update requires 10.10 and it's not available?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 11:02 AM

The App Store recognises that your Mac can upgrade to a newer OS than El Capitan so refuses you El Capitan.

So try High Sierra or Mojave.

read the following links.

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2019 11:02 AM in response to patriot728

The App Store recognises that your Mac can upgrade to a newer OS than El Capitan so refuses you El Capitan.

So try High Sierra or Mojave.

read the following links.

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

Sep 25, 2019 8:47 PM in response to patriot728

As you are on Mavericks there is no need for you to upgrade in steps, if you want Sierra you can upgrade directly.

Please read the Compatibility section here, How to upgrade to macOS Sierra - Apple Support

if your Mac can upgrade to Sierra it will upgrade to High Sierra, How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

and you can check if it can upgrade to Mojave, How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

You were trying to follow the rules from outdated information through a third party with a bad reputation. The link you gave upgrade to Yosemite is dated 2014, it is 5 years old and predates El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave and it is not an Apple Support article. Indeed it is from MacPaw and CleamMyMac, please don't listen to them, that app has the reputation of causing your Mac more harm than any good it promises. And again your link for El Capitan is dared 2016,

predating Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave. Try the links provided by me which are Apple links and have current information.

Use this app to see if the apps you have will work on a newer version of macOS, https://roaringapps.com

Sep 26, 2019 2:05 AM in response to patriot728

Your mid-2012 MacBook Pro can run High Sierra if it can run Sierra, and High Sierra will continue to receive Security and browser updates, but Sierra will drop off of Apple's three-year rotational support schedule. Right now, Microsoft requires Sierra as a minimum operating system that it will support Office 365, and single purchase Office 2016 for Mac on. They are tracking Apple's support window. Thus, once Catalina ships in October, I would expect Microsoft to require High Sierra for installation and support.

If you are presently using Apple's Pages, Numbers, and Keynote products introduced in Oct. 2013 for Mavericks, these will not run on later releases of macOS, and you will need High Sierra (or later) to install the current releases from the Mac App Store. The current versions will open existing documents.

You Adobe CS6 applications will require a reinstallation of Apple's Java 6 via this download. This is Adobe's abandonware, so you may find that not everything in CS6 works as it did on Mavericks. Some of the non-subscription products (e.g. Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo, Pixelmator, Pixelmator Pro, etc.) presently in the Mac App Store cost in the vicinity of $50 USD and can be replacements for Photoshop and Illustrator in CS6. All have free trials from their respective vendor sites.

Since you are still on Mavericks, your printer and scanner may have dropped off their respective vendor driver support for later releases of macOS. Important to check first.

Sep 25, 2019 5:22 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Thank you for your response. This is exactly what I was hoping to avoid; because I have no idea if my current apps will run on a two or three OS jump. I was hoping to simply go one step at a time. In addition, the app store states: To upgrade to Sierra from, say, Mavericks, you’ll have to consequently upgrade to Yosemite and then to El Capitan first.

SO, I was trying to follow the rules and get to El Capitan.

Sep 25, 2019 10:48 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Thank you Eau Rouge! I was searching everything I could find on the matter, but I'm happy to follow your advice.

I'm downloading Sierra now, and still want to take this in steps. Looks like the key apps, such as Photoshop PS6 are fully compatible with everything up to High Sierra, and I believe that's the end of the line for my mid 2012 Macbook Pro anyway.

how to obtain 10.10 from 10.9.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.