Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After ios 13.1 update microphones does not work

After updating my iPhone to latest software the microphone stopped working and seen not to be activated it does work with Bluetooth accessories but does not though iphone wired headphones and no mic sound when recording video or using siri does not recognize a mic also while making call speakers button does not work. Has anyone had this issue and how it could be resolved? thanks

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 9:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2019 3:15 PM

yeah they always do that to old devices. i just traded mine phone in and had to buy a new one. they always slow them down and make then glitch with the software and sometime turn off some feature making us think our old phone is bad whens its not

6 replies

Oct 3, 2019 5:41 AM in response to eulis01

I have this same issue!!!! Last week I updated to iOS 13 only to find the mic wasn't working. After seeing one of the Apple Tech's she discovered that it was a common issue they called "the greyed-out speaker." Interestingly enough this is a common problem HOWEVER they would not replace it free of charge because my warranty has expired.

This is ridiculous! If this is an issue caused by a software update or faulty equip why should we have to cover the costs????Just like yours my mic was working fine prior to this update!

Oct 3, 2019 5:48 AM in response to eulis01

You would think with their reputation of slowing down old devices in an effort to influence sales (remember that law suit that was filed and won) that they would be more careful in how they handle faulty device issues. Its crazy that we all are experiencing similar issues at no fault of our own but are expected to foot the bill.

This seems to be a trend! I'm not one for conspiracy theories but how interesting is it that these "software issues" are pushing sales for their apple care plans! This is what I've heard on every call: "If you had an apple care plan, it would be replaced free of charge."

I wonder how many more are experiencing this issue and just footing the bill?

Nov 5, 2019 7:58 PM in response to eulis01

SOLVED

I have a simple fix that got the mic working again on my iPhone 7 and 8, but as expected, it’ll cost you some time and money to get around Apple’s buggy IOS 13 software. The cost isn’t too bad though, at under 10 bucks per

phone.

I got hit with this latest “Apple surprise” while on a road trip when the mic on my wired earbuds quit working when I tried to make a call. I suspected software settings, but I had the same problem on both phones with different sets of earbuds and multiple settings. This was a hardship for me, since I am slightly hearing impaired from too many loud motorcycles, rock concerts and shotguns back in the 70’s. (I had a LOT of fun back then - still do.)

When I got home, to my surprise everything worked fine on the earbuds and headsets there. That’s when I noticed that the working units at home had the Genuine Apple Lightning to Headphone Adapter jacks on them, while both sets of non-working earbuds in my road bag had aftermarket adapters.

A quick trip to the ATT store for more Genuine Apple adapters and the problem was solved.

It’s impossible to tell if the problem was caused by poor software or a brilliantly executed evil Apple marketing plan, but in my mind, this battle ended with a tie. I got to keep my non-Apple earbuds and headsets but Apple forced me to buy more of their adapters.

Good luck to all and I hope this works for you.

After ios 13.1 update microphones does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.