Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch - Does not track outdoor walking as exercise

I have the latest apple watch (bought it in July 2019) and I see that outdoor walking doesn't track any exercise minutes. Also there is a minimum of 200 step count difference between what is displayed in apple watch activity and the apple health app. This really sucks. I used to have a garmin vivofit, and it would track it perfectly.

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 1:24 PM

Exercise is calculated not only by how far and fast but also heart rate, weight, age, sex height etc.

Exercise is getting your heart rate up.

If you just want to close the rings...choose "Other" as and exercise type, it will count all your time as exercise.

The watch will still count the steps and distance but not display it under the exercise as it will during a walk exercise.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2019 1:24 PM in response to Usha3129

Exercise is calculated not only by how far and fast but also heart rate, weight, age, sex height etc.

Exercise is getting your heart rate up.

If you just want to close the rings...choose "Other" as and exercise type, it will count all your time as exercise.

The watch will still count the steps and distance but not display it under the exercise as it will during a walk exercise.

Apple watch - Does not track outdoor walking as exercise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.