You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the watch initiate an emergency call for fall detection if you’re not currently paying for a cellular service? Will it do this outside of the country as well?

I am a solo traveler, but also pretty old and prone to falling. I bought the Apple Watch fives specifically because it will initiate overseas emergency calls. I bought the cellular version, but don’t really want to pay for a cellular service. Will fall detection work even without an active cellular plan?

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 27, 2019 6:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2019 5:44 PM

Hey there kathy Corby,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Congratulations on getting your Apple Watch Series 5. I understand you’d like to verify if fall detection and the International emergency calling feature will work if you don’t have an active cellular plan. I'll be happy to help with this.

In the Use Emergency SOS on your Apple Watch article it states:

"International emergency calling

Apple Watch Series 5 (GPS + Cellular) can call local emergency services when you're in another country or region. When you start an Emergency SOS call while abroad, your watch connects to local emergency services, but it doesn't send your location or a text message to your emergency contacts. In some countries and regions, international emergency calling works even if you haven't set up cellular service on the watch. Learn which countries and regions are supported.

Just like when you use Emergency SOS in your home country or region, your iPhone needs to be nearby if your Apple Watch Series 5 isn't a cellular model."

You can read more about the fall detection feature of Apple Watch here: Use fall detection with Apple Watch

Cheers 

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 29, 2019 5:44 PM in response to kathy Corby

Hey there kathy Corby,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Congratulations on getting your Apple Watch Series 5. I understand you’d like to verify if fall detection and the International emergency calling feature will work if you don’t have an active cellular plan. I'll be happy to help with this.

In the Use Emergency SOS on your Apple Watch article it states:

"International emergency calling

Apple Watch Series 5 (GPS + Cellular) can call local emergency services when you're in another country or region. When you start an Emergency SOS call while abroad, your watch connects to local emergency services, but it doesn't send your location or a text message to your emergency contacts. In some countries and regions, international emergency calling works even if you haven't set up cellular service on the watch. Learn which countries and regions are supported.

Just like when you use Emergency SOS in your home country or region, your iPhone needs to be nearby if your Apple Watch Series 5 isn't a cellular model."

You can read more about the fall detection feature of Apple Watch here: Use fall detection with Apple Watch

Cheers 

Will the watch initiate an emergency call for fall detection if you’re not currently paying for a cellular service? Will it do this outside of the country as well?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.