Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 13 Open in Dashboard "Missing Plug-in"

Since installing Safari 13, my "Open in Dashboard..." clips display as "Missing Plug-in" in Dashboard. Issue not fixed with Safari 13.0.1.

I've tried deleting the original Dashboard Safari clips and recreating anew. No change.

Anyone else seeing this?

Running High Sierra 10.13.6 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015).

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Sep 27, 2019 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2019 11:12 AM

Try:

pkill Dashboard

Or:

pkill Dock && sleep 1 && pkill Dashboard

That fixed my problem, but now I put the second line in my cron jobs to fix Missing Plug-In error after reboots and to renew web clip info on my desktop automatically. It's a bit annoying when Dock restarts, but one per five minutes think it's worth patience to see important web info on my desktop.

Thanks for your attention!

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2019 11:12 AM in response to dan212z

Try:

pkill Dashboard

Or:

pkill Dock && sleep 1 && pkill Dashboard

That fixed my problem, but now I put the second line in my cron jobs to fix Missing Plug-In error after reboots and to renew web clip info on my desktop automatically. It's a bit annoying when Dock restarts, but one per five minutes think it's worth patience to see important web info on my desktop.

Thanks for your attention!

Sep 27, 2019 1:29 PM in response to Eric Root

Safari (including version 13.0.1) has an item in the File menu titled "Open in Dashboard..." which is supposed to allow for display of web content in the MacOS Dashboard. It is Dashboard (not Safari) that is displaying "Missing Plug-in".

I've Time Machined back to Dashboards widget folder pre Safari 13. It doesn't appear there was ever a "Safari" widget. The MacOS Dashboard doesn't have "Plug-ins" per se.

If perhaps Apple has removed Safari's "Open in Dashboard..." functionality, then I would imagine they would remove the menu item as well.

I re-posit my original question to anyone who uses Safari's "Open in Dashboard..." functionality in their Dashboard: Are you seeing this issue?

Nov 13, 2019 11:01 AM in response to dan212z

I have the same issue with 10.13.6 and Safari 13.0.3 but while using

defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES

command while placing web clips from Dashboard to my desktop, unfortunately it doesn't work though the other widgets which are not web clips are working fine.

Anyone is facing the same problem?

Thanks!

Dec 2, 2019 8:31 AM in response to dan212z

I resolved this by using a time machine backup of the Web Clip widget. Searched "Widgets" back a few months and found the Widgets Folder in the System/Library. Replaced the Web Clip.wdgt file with previous version.

Since Dashboard widgets are gone in latest MacOS builds, you should take a look at the Fluid app. You can create a stand alone "app" based on a webpage. Its a great little application, and has a lot of uses (Great for streaming video websites (netflix etc.) and other web based services that would be nice as a stand alone app.)

Jan 5, 2020 5:16 PM in response to dan212z

I've got similar problem but in my case it happened after I rearranged my dashboard. All the other widgets kept working well but the WebClip started showing "Missing Plug-in" alert. What made a trick for me was removing corrupted preferences file (Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dashboard). After moving the preferences file from Preferences folder, a new file will be created as soon as you restart. But remember - new preferences means losing your old settings - e.g. sticky notes - so before deleting the preferences file make a screenshot.

MacMini 2012, HighSierra, Safari 13.0.4

Safari 13 Open in Dashboard "Missing Plug-in"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.