Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV sleeps when it shouldn't after OS 13 update

After updating my Apple TV 4K to OS version 13, the Apple TV goes to sleep whenever I'm playing music...Pandora, in my case. This wasn't a problem prior to updating to version 13. Interestingly, it goes to sleeps even when I'm using AirPlay to play music from my iPhone and/or iPad to my Apple TV.

Is anyone else having this problem, and have you figured out a fix or workaround? The only thing I can think to try is to turn off the Sleep feature altogether, but that's less than ideal.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or idea.

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Sep 27, 2019 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2019 4:57 PM

I'm having the same issues. My ATV 4K shuts itself off (goes into sleep mode) at my predesignated sleep time (in my case 15 minutes) when using the Pandora App. I mentioned this issue in another thread that after updating to 13.0 (along with

experiencing several other update issues), Pandora was dropping out about every 15 minutes. After the drop my screen went blank. I would hit the menu button on the remote and the play arrow on Pandora and it would play for another 15

minutes. At first I thought it was just a compatibility issue with Pandora App until reading this thread and learned it was tie to the ATV sleep mode function as well. I had already used the reset/re-update tool which cleaned up a lot the other issues that the 13.0 update created. Unfortunately, however, it didn't fix this Pandora/sleep mode function problem. I not sure if there are other apps affected with this bug but I tested a couple more Apps below.

1.  I started Pandora. Yes, after 15 minutes the ATV went into sleep mode. I repeated the test with the same results.

2.  Next, I tried the iHeart Radio App. After 25 minutes iHeart Radio was still playing so I moved on. Apparently no issues with this app.

3.  I then tried playing back my music from my iTunes library housed on my PC. No issues with it either. Continued to play for a couple of hours until I shut it off.

4.  I rented a movie from Prime Video. Movie played from beginning to end (couple of hours long). No glitches, no buffering, no issues.

Without testing every app, it would appear to me there is a conflict with the ATV's sleep function and Pandora's App. I have now set my ATV to sleep after 5 hours. Pandora continued to play after 15 minutes and I'm anticipating after 5 hours the ATV with then go to sleep. If I don't fall asleep first.

If you can give me the contact info you used to contact Apple support, I would like to also let them know that I experiencing the same problem(s).

66 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2019 4:57 PM in response to Joeylazzara

I'm having the same issues. My ATV 4K shuts itself off (goes into sleep mode) at my predesignated sleep time (in my case 15 minutes) when using the Pandora App. I mentioned this issue in another thread that after updating to 13.0 (along with

experiencing several other update issues), Pandora was dropping out about every 15 minutes. After the drop my screen went blank. I would hit the menu button on the remote and the play arrow on Pandora and it would play for another 15

minutes. At first I thought it was just a compatibility issue with Pandora App until reading this thread and learned it was tie to the ATV sleep mode function as well. I had already used the reset/re-update tool which cleaned up a lot the other issues that the 13.0 update created. Unfortunately, however, it didn't fix this Pandora/sleep mode function problem. I not sure if there are other apps affected with this bug but I tested a couple more Apps below.

1.  I started Pandora. Yes, after 15 minutes the ATV went into sleep mode. I repeated the test with the same results.

2.  Next, I tried the iHeart Radio App. After 25 minutes iHeart Radio was still playing so I moved on. Apparently no issues with this app.

3.  I then tried playing back my music from my iTunes library housed on my PC. No issues with it either. Continued to play for a couple of hours until I shut it off.

4.  I rented a movie from Prime Video. Movie played from beginning to end (couple of hours long). No glitches, no buffering, no issues.

Without testing every app, it would appear to me there is a conflict with the ATV's sleep function and Pandora's App. I have now set my ATV to sleep after 5 hours. Pandora continued to play after 15 minutes and I'm anticipating after 5 hours the ATV with then go to sleep. If I don't fall asleep first.

If you can give me the contact info you used to contact Apple support, I would like to also let them know that I experiencing the same problem(s).

Dec 30, 2019 3:03 PM in response to Joeylazzara

Similar issues here as well, where my Apple TV's, when put to sleep, would correctly put the TV to sleep as well (HDMI-CEC), but when they were woken up, the Audio settings of "XXX Room Apple TV -> XXX Room HomePod" would stick in settings, but the audio would be coming out of the TV, not the HomePod. Let the hair pulling and internet searching begin! Fun.

But alas, the answer (for me) was not to yell at Apple. Airplay 2 is very powerful, and honestly very well implemented. Yeah, there are bugs, but nine times out 10, the issue is with one's network setup and equipment. Want proof? Read on with what might be the fix for many of you.

(Again, not promising or guaranteeing this will fix anyone one's issue(s)) My issue was a bad firmware update running on my UniFi Switch (I have a more complex "prosumer" setup running all Ubiquiti hardware: controller, router, switch, AP's (access points). Turns out, the latest-and-greatest firmware running on the switch broke IGMP Snooping / Multicast, which is essential for Bonjour, Airplay 2 and Apple TV's to talk to each other and maintain connections (especially when devices are talking across multiple networks, into VLAN's, etc... but I digress into really important, but way-to-technical networking speak :-) ). Once I downgraded the switch firmware to the previous stable version, the Apple TV -> HomePod audio worked at wake. Phew.

Now, for some, the above fix might fit your set up as well. If so, great! But if not, here are a few must-have settings to share that must be in place in one's network—best practices for us Apple loving device users:

1. Ensure Multicast'ing is ON
  2. Assign static IP's to all devices (especially if you have devices on different networks, eg. iPhones and computers on the "Data" network; Internet of Things devices—like the Smart TV, Homekit accessories, security cameras, etc.—on the "IoT" network).
  3. DHCP (random IP's within a prescribed range) can still be used for those devices that aren't talking to other devices

Hope this helps,

Matt

Sep 27, 2019 5:19 PM in response to Tylerd213

Thanks for the reply. FYI I called Apple support. They said no one else has reported the issue but they’re going to investigate. Also, they said they’re expecting to release a new Apple TV OS update in the near future, which if they can reproduce the Sleep problem, could get included in that update. In the meantime they recommended I set Sleep to “Never” or some other arbitrarily large time like 5-10 hours with the caveat to be sure to turn off the TV manually if not in use.

Oct 6, 2019 10:40 PM in response to Joeylazzara

Having the same issues after the update, though I am using Airplay with Amazon Prime as the music player on my iPhone 7. I originally had the sleep mode set for 15 minutes on the ATV, and then set it to 1 hour to see if it would change anything. ATV slept after 1 hour and music stopped. This was definitely not an issue before the update. I haven't checked to see if this is also happening when playing from iTunes yet, but it is rather annoying if 3rd party apps have somehow lost the ability to override the sleep function on the ATV with this update.

Oct 7, 2019 8:19 PM in response to blindskwirl

Here is another issue you may come across thanks to the 13.0 update. If you unplug your Apple TV you will now most likely lose your Home Sharing Screen Saver connection (if you have this feature turned on). It's not likely your having to unplug your ATV on a regular basis so it may not be a big deal for most. Its just the fact (like sleep mode) you didn't have to deal with issue before 13.0. Unfortunately in my situation my cable box needs a daily reboot and all my devices share a power conditioner. So if one of my devices needs a reboot all my devices get one as well. Anyway, now you will need to reconnected your Home Sharing Screen Saver backup with iTunes. I use the Home Sharing Screen Saver so I can display my iTunes album art. It's a nice feature that has a lot of different display choices. So if you get tired of the other screen saver options I think this one is the best.

Oct 8, 2019 11:33 AM in response to Joeylazzara

Same issue, AirPlaying from Spotify to AppleTV. So annoying. Once again, Apple releases an update that breaks the things that actually worked right more than it improves the things that didn't. iOS 11 to 12 destroyed my iPhone X's battery life, WatchOS 4 to 5 did the same. My 2018 Macbook Pro has 100 minutes of battery life, even with Catalina.... I thought this was the company that made products that "just worked"?

Oct 12, 2019 1:26 PM in response to Joeylazzara

Same experience using airplay from

iTunes library on my iMac to play on AppleTV 4K, and also AirPlay from

the podcast app on my iPhone to the AppleTV. AppleTV goes to sleep at the designated sleep time in the middle of playing audio this way, which never used to happen. Same with using the Remote app on my iPhone to play iTunes library, which is essentially the same as my above example, I just initiate it differently. All used to work wonderfully and now doesn’t.

Oct 14, 2019 1:56 PM in response to Joeylazzara

I have an Apple TV model A1625.

I used to listen to internet radio stations via the Radio.net app. And, I could sit down and watch the screen saver videos while I listened to music.

My ATV recently upgraded itself to OS 13. Now the same thing happens to me. After 15 minutes of music, Apple TV puts itself to sleep via the 15 minute setting that I entered. Before the software update, I could listen to hours of music and never did it go to sleep.

Dear Apple, please fix this. I loved my Apple TV for its versatility but now its annoying.

Oct 19, 2019 7:01 PM in response to Joeylazzara

I'm having the same issue :(

My set up:

Open the Spotify | Pandora | YouTube app on my iPhone | iPad | Mac

Start playing music on Apple TV via Airplay

If I don't interact with the Apple TV it goes to sleep at the designated sleep time (1 Hour)

Pretty annoying. Hoping a fix is released soon 🤞🏽

Apple TV 3 A1625 (32GB)

tvOS 13.0 (17J586)

Apple TV sleeps when it shouldn't after OS 13 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.