Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My download of flash changed my search engine to Bing

My download of flash changed my search engine to Bing in Safari and Chrome. How do I change it back?

Posted on Sep 27, 2019 4:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2019 4:45 PM

It sounds like you downloaded a bogus version of Flash. This happens if you attempt to update Flash Player because a pop-up told you to. Only download Flash Player updates from either The Official Adobe Website or from System Preferences > Flash Player > Check for Updates. Other downloads of Flash will contain malware.

Download and run Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac.

After that restart and go to Safari menu > Preferences > Search and choose the search engine you want to use.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2019 4:45 PM in response to Bageljay

It sounds like you downloaded a bogus version of Flash. This happens if you attempt to update Flash Player because a pop-up told you to. Only download Flash Player updates from either The Official Adobe Website or from System Preferences > Flash Player > Check for Updates. Other downloads of Flash will contain malware.

Download and run Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac.

After that restart and go to Safari menu > Preferences > Search and choose the search engine you want to use.

My download of flash changed my search engine to Bing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.