Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suspect pop-ups???

Lately I've been getting a pop up that asks to enter my password (for my laptop I guess) . It says"Apple would like to make changes" that's all. No other info.

As I recall I'm usually on Safari, it takes 3 pushes of the delete icon, (the pop up repeats itself) and some times it closes whatever site I'm on.

I'm pretty sure it's not Apple. I've looked for strange new programs in Finder since it started 2-3 weeks ago but have not seen any unfamiliar apps or downloads. Might it have impeded itself in Safari??

Has any one seen this. Its a relatively small popup say 3" X 2"

Thanks

Al

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 28, 2019 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 6:29 AM

I did install the Malwarebytes A-M for Mac and it seems to have done the trick. it downloaded, isolated some problem programs, and at this point monitors. The only decision have to make is whether to keep it. I use Comcast for ISP and they offer Norton for free, which I haven't tried. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your advice

Al

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2019 6:29 AM in response to Eric Root

I did install the Malwarebytes A-M for Mac and it seems to have done the trick. it downloaded, isolated some problem programs, and at this point monitors. The only decision have to make is whether to keep it. I use Comcast for ISP and they offer Norton for free, which I haven't tried. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your advice

Al

Sep 28, 2019 10:48 AM in response to Alcamino

Safari – Popup takes over

Safari – Popup takes over (2)

Popup remover – Scam Zapper

If the pop-up reloads, force quit Safari (command - option/alt - esc) and reopen with the shift key held down. If that doesn't work, disconnect from the Internet, go to Safari/History and delete the website. Quit and reopen with the shift key held down. Then reconnect to the Internet.

Safari -Tech support scam pop-ups

You may  have adware/malware installed. Try downloading this program which was written by Thomas R, a long time poster. The program will search for malware/adware. The program will do the work for you which makes it easy. It may be necessary to run more than one scan. After running the scans, restart the computer.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac      10.10 and later

Malwarebytes uninstall

Oct 7, 2019 7:48 AM in response to Alcamino

You are welcome. You can keep the free version of Malwarebytes to use as necessary or download another copy. Your choice.

I wouldn't install Norton. It tends to interfere with the computer's operation while providing minimal to no benefit unless you work with Windows files. Most long time posters recommend not using antivirus software or cleaning software such as CleanMyMac.

Suspect pop-ups???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.