Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gapless Music Playback Issue

I feel like this issue began with iOS 13, and the update to iOS 13.1.1 did not address it. iOS 13 appears to not recognize when an album should have gapless playback. It appears to only have this issue with the MP3 files I’ve synced to my iPhone, but .m4a files playback just fine. These are the same MP3 files I’ve had no issue with in the past on an iPhone, and they play correctly in the iTunes Library I’m syncing them from. I don’t have the music synced to any other iOS 13 device to know whether or not it occurs with those, but the issue doesn’t happen with an iPod Nano I have a lot of it synced to. This also does not seem to be specific to the built-in Music app as I’ve downloaded a few other music apps and happens with those as well.

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 29, 2019 8:26 AM

Similar questions

61 replies

Oct 4, 2019 12:43 PM in response to djluis2k7

The release notes don't state anything about resolving a gapless playback issue. In fact nothing about music is even mentioned. "Overview

The iOS & iPadOS 13.2 SDK provides support for developing apps for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices running iOS & iPadOS 13.2. The SDK comes bundled with Xcode 11 available from the Mac App Store. For information on the compatibility requirements for Xcode 11, see Xcode 11 Release Notes."

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/ios_ipados_release_notes/ios_ipados_13_2_beta_release_notes

Sep 30, 2019 12:45 PM in response to djluis2k7

Yes, I am having the same issue! I posted about it last week but since I didn't label it "gapless playback" I didn't get any replies or responses. I'm kind of a music nerd when it comes to this stuff, and since I just got the Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Edition, it's driving me crazy that I can't properly listen to the long medley without split-second gaps in between the songs. These are mp3 files as well -- I haven't tested to see if m4a files play correctly, but I will. I'm hoping Apple resolves this issue soon in another update.

Sep 30, 2019 1:15 PM in response to drawtheline

You’re noticing this with iOS 12? I feel like I only started having it occur with iOS 13. I also went ahead and updated to iOS 13.1.2 and the issue continues. I’ve also deleted an affected album from my iPhone, then synced it again, and the issue continues. The only thing I haven’t tried is removing it from the iTunes Library, then adding it back again. If that resolves the issue, I guess it could be worse.

Oct 1, 2019 11:29 AM in response to drawtheline

I’ve updated to 13.1.2, but the problem persists! All of my albums still have gaps between tracks even though they are meant to play through gaplessly. I did not have this issue until I updated to iOS 13. I’ve submitted this bug a week ago before 13.1.2, but they still haven’t fix this issue yet and it’s starting to get really annoying. I read on some forums from July that this problem already started in iOS 13 beta so they have had several months to fix it now. How can they screw up on such a basic and simple functionality and not fix it in the public release?

Oct 4, 2019 9:12 AM in response to drawtheline

Hey everyone,

I installed the beta of 13.2 on my iPad Air 2. I tried two different live albums with it and both played back without gaps (like the way they always have) and I tried the same albums on my iPhone XS running 13.1.2 and the gaps were present on the exact same albums. I manually synced these albums to both devices via iTunes and both are MP3.

Oct 14, 2019 10:23 AM in response to djluis2k7

I’m experiencing the same gap issue but also something more: all my music is converted from cd to mp3 and since I installed iOS 13, something really strange is randomly happening. Some songs just...don’t end: instead if changing to the next one, the songs repeat about the last minute again, while the display shows -0:00.

Did someone experience the same issue?

I absolutely have no idea how to fix it. If I reset my iPod 7G and manually put the whole music collection again (a lot of work) some other different songs will be “randomly” affected.

Help :-(

Oct 17, 2019 10:13 PM in response to djluis2k7

The gapless playback issue was killing me when listening to DJ mixes and gapless albums!

I'm enrolled in the public beta software program and the issue is addressed in iOS13.2 which was released today. I am aware that iOS beta may have bugs in it, but its a chance I decided to take back when iOS 13 beta first came out. Luckily, it's been pretty stable on my iPhone X. Then again, every user may experience something different.

If you decide to go the iOS beta route, here is the link to enroll: https://beta.apple.com.

Oct 27, 2019 5:30 AM in response to djluis2k7

I would also like to add my frustration to this issue and hopefully prompt Apple to realise that there is indeed a problem and fix in the next update.

i also noticed this ‘micro-gap’ between songs that should be continuous music: eg, a continuous concert recording that is split over several tracks.

My CD library was imported into iTunes in MP3 and recently this micro-gap has appeared, when for years I had no issue at all when played on my iPad, iPhone and Mac.

I called Apple and was on the phone for what must of been an hour and the agent was able to hear my issue and said he would escalate. A few days later he returned a call and according to Apple this was within it’s parameters and there were too many variables to decipher what is causing this issue (in this sentiment anyway). There was nothing that they were able to do.

i even tried playing an album streamed from Apple Music and it does exactly the same.....

Called into an Apple store and explained the same and he said ‘that must be so annoying’. Well it is...

Please Apple, sort this issue out, it does exist by way of the comments here....why mess with something that worked perfectly well for so many years.... It’s now become a deal breaker for me... Unless this is sorted, when time comes to change my equipment Apple will no longer be my obvious choice...

Gapless Music Playback Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.