Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cellular update failed after 13.1 installed

My cellular network connection keeps failing. I’ve tried doing a hard restart, tried resetting my network connection, and I’ve tried removing and replacing my SIM card. I can get a network connection for a little while after I do all those things, then it goes away again. I just keeps saying it is searching for a connection.

iPhone 7

Posted on Sep 29, 2019 8:11 PM

6 replies

Sep 29, 2019 8:42 PM in response to danomccoy

There are two major Updates in an iPhone / iPad:

1. iOS Update (Optional): Released by Apple Inc basically for improvements, security and bug fixes. Does not affect Data, Calls & SMSs if not updated

1. Carrier Update (Required): Released by your Cellular Service provider (Carrier Update), affects your Outgoing / Incoming calls, SMS, Data etc..

How to Update Carrier Settings

You can manually check for and install a carrier settings update with these steps: Make sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network. Tap Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see an option to update your carrier settings.

Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

How to update iOS

Go to Settings > General > Software Update > Automatic Updates, then turn off AutomaticUpdates. At any time, you can check for and install software updates. Go to Settings > General > Software Update. The screen shows the currently installed version of iOS and whether an update is available.

Update iOS software on iPhone - Apple Support

Sep 29, 2019 8:26 PM in response to danomccoy

Hi there,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing issues updating your cellular firmware on your Apple device running iOS 13.1. My first recommendation would be to update to iOS 13.1.1 which was released several days ago. This may or may not resolve your issue.

The troubleshooting you’ve already tried is excellent. What I would recommend next is 3 things: 1, connect your device to a computer running the latest version of iTunes. Let the device sync and at the beginning of the sync you should be prompted to complete a cellular settings update. If not, 2, I would partner with your wireless carrier to determine if there are any issues preventing you from being able to compete the update. It is important to remember that adequate wireless coverage is necessary to complete this. Also, adequate WiFi signal is needed so if you’ve got choppy coverage in the other or both areas that could be contributing to the issue. Your carrier may recommend getting a new SIM card as well.

Lastly, you may want to consider the possibility there is an issue with your software that’s preventing the cellular update from completing. What would be recommended is backing up your device, but factory wiping and setting up as new. Upon setting up as new you will not restore from a backup, but sign into iCloud to sync your photos contacts and other iCloud data. This will be a fresh start but the cellular service update should be able to complete. Also see the following:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201270

Hope this helps!

Cellular update failed after 13.1 installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.