Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

$55 for OEM MBP17 battery A1189, replacement for Apple's bulging crap

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.35004

anyone know any information about this particular model? googling "dealextreme A1189" doesn't show anyone having written any reports. i'm not keen on paying apple another cent for their broken *** hardware.

i believe the primary risks are:

* it doesnt hold full charge
* reports charge incorrectly
* eventually bulges just like apple's

searching for "oem" in this forum brings these reports out.

Message was edited by: slexus

MBP 2.4 17" Santa Rosa, mid-2007, Mac OS X (10.5.8), my MBP: DOA power brick, bad nVidia 8600GT, bulging battery, thanks Apple!

Posted on Jul 15, 2010 5:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2010 5:41 AM

Apple does not make batteries. They are built by other firms and packed/labeled for Apple. If you buy for an unknown third party, you could be getting the same product with a different label sticker.

Because of this, I would buy a battery from a place with a strong rep for selling good after-market Mac gadgets. Other World Computing would be my choice. I've bought a lot of gear from them over the last decade and cannot be more pleased with the products and the quality of their customer service, both before and after the sale.

OWC does a lot of testing before putting a product out. They held off selling an MBP battery until recently. That tells me they were working to find a product they could stand behind. Now they have one:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/applelaptop/batteries/MacBook_Pro17

The warranty is one year, same as Apple, and I'm pretty sure they are going to be around if you need service.

PS: I have no relation with OWC other than as a satisfied customer.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2010 5:41 AM in response to slexus

Apple does not make batteries. They are built by other firms and packed/labeled for Apple. If you buy for an unknown third party, you could be getting the same product with a different label sticker.

Because of this, I would buy a battery from a place with a strong rep for selling good after-market Mac gadgets. Other World Computing would be my choice. I've bought a lot of gear from them over the last decade and cannot be more pleased with the products and the quality of their customer service, both before and after the sale.

OWC does a lot of testing before putting a product out. They held off selling an MBP battery until recently. That tells me they were working to find a product they could stand behind. Now they have one:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/applelaptop/batteries/MacBook_Pro17

The warranty is one year, same as Apple, and I'm pretty sure they are going to be around if you need service.

PS: I have no relation with OWC other than as a satisfied customer.

$55 for OEM MBP17 battery A1189, replacement for Apple's bulging crap

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.