Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a GPS only apple watch Series 5 make wifi calls without iphone nearby?

Need to ask the question because Apple can't get their answer straight, and their support pages don't clearly indicate the answer. Can I make and receive calls on my GPS-only apple watch when my iPhone is on and not nearby?

User case example: Let's say I leave my phone on and in my car, where it is connected to LTE. I then go inside to my house/building where my watch connects to a wifi network it is familiar with after falling out of range of my phone. I realize that I can still receive my iMessage and standard texts on my watch, and for that matter use everything else on the watch without a problem, but I am unable to make or receive calls because my apple watch apparently needs to be connected to the iPhone for it to do that one thing. Is this normal behavior?

I realize that with an LTE enabled apple watch, I could use LTE or wifi calling to still make and receive calls without my iphone nearby, but can I still make a wifi call when it's a GPS only model?

Thank you!

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 9:37 AM

7 replies

Sep 30, 2019 3:32 PM in response to BobHarris

Thank you for the screen shot. I for some reason do not have that network selection at my bottom of my WIFI calling menu like you do, maybe that's part of the problem.

I am seeing wifi calling listed for Verizon though:

Verizon Wireless6

• eSIM
  • FaceTime over Cellular
  • LTE
  • Personal Hotspot1
  • Unlocking2
  • Visual Voicemail
  • VoLTE4
  • Wi-Fi Calling
  • Wi-Fi Calling on supported iCloud-connected devices

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204039#usa

I can try looping back with Verizon, I spoke to them earlier and they handed me off to apple again, lol. Bob, do you know if your phone is unlocked or not? (I'm just trying to think of another reason why I would have this error).

Sep 30, 2019 3:23 PM in response to CyprusCorner

Apple can use WiFi calling on their iPhone and Apple Watch. It is your cellular carrier that must support WiFi calling. Not all cellular carrier provide WiFi calling support.

If your cellular carrier is not offering similar features, then it is your cellular carrier that you have to either get to support WiFi calling, or switch to a carrier that does support WiFi calling.

Again, not all carriers support WiFi calling.

Sep 30, 2019 10:15 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

This is why I'm not getting a straight answer. No where on this support page does it say whether or not this user guide applies to the LTE and/or GPS-only versions of the watch. The article implies it should be possible if my carrier supports it (they do, it's Verizon), but then later seems to imply it's only referring to the cellular model because it has a little plug that says - "Note: You can make emergency calls over Wi-Fi, but when possible, use your iPhone over a cellular connection instead". Can someone who has a GPS-only version of the watch verify if this function does indeed work?

Note: when following those instructions, I get an error whenever I try to turn on "Add Wi-Fi Calling For Other Devices". Apple support didn't address why the error occurred, only to tell me instead that my watch won't support wifi calling.

Sep 30, 2019 12:43 PM in response to CyprusCorner

If your cellular carrier supports WiFi calling And you have enabled WiFi calling on your iPhone, then you can make WiFi phone calls on your Apple Watch.

Just the other night, I turned off my iPhone, and I made a WiFi call on my GPS Only Apple Watch to my office at work. I use T-Mobile which does support WiFi calling, and I do have WiFi calling enabled on my iPhone.

Sep 30, 2019 5:53 PM in response to CyprusCorner

I got my iPhone 6s direct from Apple without a SIM (it was not associated with any carrier). Then I signed up with T-Mobile for their $30/month pay as you go plan with 60 minutes of calls per month, unlimited text and data (throttled after 5gig). My Wife have since moved to the 55+ plan.

I'm sure the differences in my cellular screen has to do with the different carriers.

Can a GPS only apple watch Series 5 make wifi calls without iphone nearby?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.