Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location Issue

When I'm on a website it always thinks I'm in a town 90 miles south. I've checked everything I can think of and it's driving me nuts! What can it be? It happens on my iPhone, MacBook it doesn't matter.

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 3:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 6:52 PM

Oh, it’s a problem. It’s just one of many things about the internet that we all either get to accept, or that eats away at us.

Or you can tussle with your ISP of course, but I’d suspect they don’t want to try to track which IP gets allocated to a particular location when the DHCP server vends an IP address. If they’re even equipped for that.

Some related reading, including a few of the debacles: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geolocation_software

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2019 6:52 PM in response to kingd01

Oh, it’s a problem. It’s just one of many things about the internet that we all either get to accept, or that eats away at us.

Or you can tussle with your ISP of course, but I’d suspect they don’t want to try to track which IP gets allocated to a particular location when the DHCP server vends an IP address. If they’re even equipped for that.

Some related reading, including a few of the debacles: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geolocation_software

Sep 30, 2019 4:44 PM in response to kingd01

If bogus information annoys you, you’ll love the internet.

Your ISP has tagged the location of that IP address elsewhere.

Probably a whole block of addresses.

Mine has routinely geolocated in the next state over.

For some folks, having a correct IP geolocation could lead to abuse, harassment, assault, and potentially death.

Pragmatically, you’re lucky that any IP address geolocates in the “correct” county, and that ignores VPNs and such.

And if exposing one’s location is a concern, Tor is a common choice.

Location Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.