Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone tried a PS3 dual shock controller on apple arcade?

Has anyone tried a PS3 dual shock controller on Apple Arcade or the Catalina Beta?

It works on my mac under 10.14.6 Mojave

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 1, 2019 8:20 AM

13 replies

Oct 11, 2019 2:17 PM in response to Community User

So you're saying that the apps that worked with PS3 controllers, and probably joysticks too before Catalina, won't work with a PS3 now under Catalina. That's yet another reason why I'm glad that I haven't upgraded to Catalina yet, and am not likely to in the near future, until some of all these issues are resolved in future updates. Since I am considering Xbox 360 anyway, I guess I'll do that before even considering the Catalina update. Thanks for the info.

Oct 8, 2019 12:42 PM in response to jeathray

PS3 controllers don't work in the public release and haven't worked since the first beta, so it's safe to assume that Apple is no longer supporting them, rendering all of their high-end games obsolete. Once again, Apple screws everybody for profit.

Oct 8, 2019 4:11 PM in response to turingtest2

My issue is that I can use a PS3 bluetooth controller on my iMac with games that support it. I was trying to find out whether it would work with Apple Arcade games on an iMac, as the supported PS4 and Xbox One controllers are also bluetooth, or whether I have to specifically use one of these two controllers that I don't own now.

Oct 11, 2019 8:54 AM in response to Community User

Not necessarily. PS3 controllers will still work with the non-Arcade games that supported them. But they are also out of production, and genuine Sony versions are hard to find and the market is flooded with cheap Chinese fakes. Now that the new Xbox One controllers are bluetooth and don't requires drivers like the Xbox 360 controllers did, you have a choice between them and the Sony PS4 controllers for both Arcade games and the non-Arcade games that will support them.

Oct 11, 2019 12:46 PM in response to jeathray

Well, they don't work (and haven't since beta 1).

I confirmed it with Feral (and a couple of others), who tested using both real and fake PS3 controllers. According to them, the issue is open but Apple isn't doing anything about it.

Oct 11, 2019 9:54 PM in response to jeathray

Yep, exactly. Including Tomb Raider, Arkham City, etc. I stupidly had *that* checkbox checked, which installed Catalina while I had my back turned and I had no time machine backup (lol). I couldn't be bothered to do a fresh install so I just waited it out, reporting the issue via the feedback tool and chatting with Feral, etc back-and-forth. It's been like this for months now, no response from Apple. Feral says the issue is "open", not sure about other publishers (or whether or not Apple has responded to them).

Oct 11, 2019 7:41 AM in response to jeathray

Thanks for the clarification.

I guess this time around Apple have gone out of their way to not support PS3 controllers, rendering all non-Arcade games useless.

Has anyone tried a PS3 dual shock controller on apple arcade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.