Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13.1.2 update 113 MB on my iPhone, but 3.7 GB on iTunes? Why!?

I'm stuck on 4G only, no WiFi. iOS 13.1 left my phone a mess. Desperately want the latest update... but, no... "requires Wi-Fi network connection" on my phone. Use my Mac tethered to my iPhone for data connection to use iTunes. Somehow, it's 3.77 GB! Same update! Ludicrous.

Also, nuts that I can download a multi-GB file with the same phone connected to a Mac, but not on the phone itself!

Side question: why can I not get a 113 MB update on my phone, when I can download up to 200MB apps, and seemingly any other updates of apps of any size via the App Store? No logic.

Posted on Oct 1, 2019 9:20 PM

4 replies

Oct 1, 2019 9:33 PM in response to pauls73

You are downloading but you are not installing.

During installing the update will check with Apple server whether the iOS files are intact and genuine.

Each step of the startup process contains components that are cryptographically signed by Apple to ensure integrity and that proceed only after verifying the chain of trust. This includes the bootloaders, kernel, kernel extensions, and baseband firmware. This secure boot chain helps ensure that the lowest levels of software aren’t tampered with.

When an iOS device is turned on, its application processor immediately executes code from read-only memory known as Boot ROM. This immutable code, known as the hardware root of trust, is laid down during chip fabrication, and is implicitly trusted. The Boot ROM code contains the Apple Root CA public key, which is used to verify that the iBoot bootloader is signed by Apple before allowing it to load. This is the first step in the chain of trust where each step ensures that the next is signed by Apple. When the iBoot finishes its tasks,

it verifies and runs the iOS kernel. For devices with an A9 or earlier A-series processor, an additional Low-Level Bootloader (LLB) stage is loaded and verified by the Boot ROM and in turn loads and verifies iBoot.

iOS 13.1.2 update 113 MB on my iPhone, but 3.7 GB on iTunes? Why!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.