Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 Mail app sound/vibration not working

Recently, my iPhone 8 (iOS 13.1.2) stopped playing a sound or vibrating when I receive an email through the Mail app. It is still showing the notifications and banners for the emails, but no sound. The "Sent Mail" sound is working just fine, but not the "New Mail". All other app notification sounds/haptics (including the Outlook app for personal email) are working without an issue.

I've tried restarting, then changing the ringtone and restarting the phone, removing all notifications for Mail and restarting and re-enabling notifications and restarting, and nothing has resolved this.

iPhone 8

Posted on Oct 2, 2019 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2019 10:28 AM

Two things to check:

1. Settings → Notifications → Mail → Allow Notifications = ON, tap your email account, make sure there are 3 checkmarks under ALERTS: Lock Screen, Notifications Centre, Banners,. Then tap "Sounds" and tap a sound from the list you want to use for notifications, make sure when you tap it you hear a demo of it.
  2. Settings → Sounds & Haptic → New Mail, tap a sound from the list you want to use for notifications, make sure when you tap it you hear a demo of it.
15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2019 10:28 AM in response to surly_girl

Two things to check:

1. Settings → Notifications → Mail → Allow Notifications = ON, tap your email account, make sure there are 3 checkmarks under ALERTS: Lock Screen, Notifications Centre, Banners,. Then tap "Sounds" and tap a sound from the list you want to use for notifications, make sure when you tap it you hear a demo of it.
  2. Settings → Sounds & Haptic → New Mail, tap a sound from the list you want to use for notifications, make sure when you tap it you hear a demo of it.

Nov 4, 2019 1:21 PM in response to KJChitown

I was able to get mine to work again. What I did was go into the notification settings for mail and turn on all of the notification options (banner, lock screen, notification center), reboot my phone and went back in and turned them all off again then reboot the phone one more time. That is all I did and my sound finally came back. Whether that actually fixed the issue or not, I don't know but my sounds suddenly started working after I did that. Stupid.

Nov 10, 2019 8:53 AM in response to surly_girl

I have this issue on my XR and newly 11 as well. At first, I thought that it was XR bugs after updating to 13.1.1. I have contacted Apple Support several times so they set a phone call for me. After then, I reported this issue to the personal advisor from Sept - now. They asked me to send my screenshots, remotely checked my 'settings' screen to check whether I set them accurately, data analytics, screen recordings, tested email sendings when the screen's locked/unlocked, restored to factory settings and etc. I would like to say that I have done everything to get it fixed but nothing works so far!

The advisor has asked the engineer team if I can downgrade to the older version, but they wouldn't let me do that too, nor it is about the hardware issue because I am also having this issue on my i11. I checked both phones at iCare and iStudio and they could only restore the phones for me (no luck).

The notifications are working properly on my 6plus but not recent XR and i11. Obviously, it is iOS issue but i'm so upset that the advisor mentioned that they haven't had any case like this before so it is like I have to keep reporting them my issue and the engineering team ain't working at all! since 13.1.1, now they released 13.2.2 still this issue persists and it is worse on my i11.

The delayed notifications, no alert/vibration. Sometimes alerts without banner or banner without sound/vibration or just delayed for minutes - hour. Everything pops up randomly. It is not stable at all. It has been months already and they aren't working to fix this. This is really BAD!

iPhone 8 Mail app sound/vibration not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.